Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i really have no idea whats wrong with my betta fish Curtis, I got him at Walmart almost 3 months ago and he was fine, he would eat, swim around and he would always come up to me when I would feed him or when I would move my finger around the glass and when I looked into his tank. probably a month ago I noticed that he wasn't as active as normal and his stomach was bloated which worried me so I did research and everything was telling me that it was either constipation or dropsy, so I started feeding him the frozen peas and that didn't work so I tried going a few days without feeding him and nothing change and I started giving him Epsom salt baths and it seemed to work because the next day he wasn't bloated but his behavior didn't go back to normal and I just figured that he needed a few days to return to normal and I also didn't feed him for a few days just to be on the safe side, well 2 days later he was bloated once again and ive been trying everything and I'm so lost on what to do because now hes bloated one day and then he looks normal the next but his behavior has not gone back to normal all he does it sit at the top of the tank and lays on his plant and now he has started to swim sideways, please help me figure out what I should do.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? both
Freeze-dried? blood worms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? usually once a day and only a few flakes or 2-3 pellets or 2-3 bloodworms

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 100
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip out water
What additives do you use? jungle start right, jungle start zyme and jungle aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness (GH): n/a
Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? about a month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? he bloats sometimes
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? hes just lays at the top of the tank against one of his plants
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? yes, ive feed him peas, given him salt baths, gone a few days without eating.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? not really
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? ive had him around 2 and a half months and I got him from Walmart.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I am sorry you both are having a hard time. Please post pictures of Curtis and one of your whole tank. If you are feeding bloodworms that is one thing you will want to stop they cause constipation in bettas. What temperature is your tank?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You will want to buy siphon to clean the tank. The dipping won't get the tank clean enough. Amazon has this one I really like for a small tank:

http://www.amazon.com/Lees-Mini-Economy-Gravel-Vacuum/dp/B0002APSKA

Are you finding any poop in the tank? The aquarium salt is not needed it's likely to worsen the bloating atm. 100% unscented epsom salt helps with bloating. You can continue with that while the bloating continues. Until you get siphon before you change your water by dipping stir the gravel really well before you dip to get some of the debris out. Lift up your tank ornament while you clean. This will reduce the AQ salt. Before you change it save some to take the pet store and get it tested for the parameters just to see how it's been. If you can afford it buy a water test kit. They are usually a little cheaper on amazon vs the pet store.
Is he eating at all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes he is eating and I have found some poop, and yes ive been using 100% unscented Epsom salt for a few weeks now......also what I do when I clean the tank is I get a cup and dip out most of the water just so its light enough for me to carry to the sink and then I pour the rest out and wipe the sides down with a rag or paper towel and then I use the spray extension on my sink and spray all the rocks and decorations multiple times with hot water until they are clean, then I refill it and add everything. so I feel like its stays pretty clean

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I do see you are trying to do the best you can and I know it must be upsetting that he is not getting better. The only thing about cleaning that way is it eliminates beneficial bacteria and it's hard on the betta's system to get water changes in that manner. Not vacuuming and dumping is preventing the tank from cycling.
Under the circumstances your betta could have parasites or he is having trouble with osomis. I can try to provide more info in the morning, Unfortunately, I have to go to bed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts