Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, so apologies in advance if it's in the wrong place (and kindly advise where to go?)

I have 4 bettas in a 10 gallon tank. They are all approximately 7-8 months old. I have had them in the same "sorority tank" since I got them from the breeder and then about a week ago realized that one of my girls is actually a slow to develop boy (egg spot and all!).

I placed a divider between the male and the females to protect the girls from the boy.
The problem is, I now have a tank with 1 male and 3 females who all clearly have the hots for each other (male built his nest and is flaring at the females constantly, females are doing their little dance and trying-unsuccessfully- to get to him).

With that in mind, I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with.
1. The females have produced eggs (I can see them through the translucent skin of the fish).With the male in the same tank, will the females reabsorb their eggs or is this potentially dangerous for them?
2. Can I keep this male in the same tank as the females with a divider long term? or does he need to be moved to a separate tank?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance! and to those of you who are breeding, happy breeding!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
They should eventually either release or reabsorb, but having them in constant contact with a male when you have no intent to breed does put them in a potentially dangerous position. If they get too heavy, but do not release or reabsorb, they become "egg bound" and can die from it if not spawned.

I'd move the male to a new tank. You'll avoid the girls becoming too egg heavy that way, and also remove something that they may start fighting over.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Also, with them being all excited over each other, it's likely someone will jump over the divider. Good luck with your fish!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts