What temperature is your tank? about 76-78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Is your tank heated? By the light only

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? regular betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once to twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every two weeks; do a whole water
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Large almost transparent lump on the side, almost doubled in side over night this week
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no shes still very active and has been pooping a lot the last month.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not feed her today, I read that the lump could be from overfeeding, so stop feeding her for 2 days and see if it gets any smaller.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? She is approximately 3 months (bought from Pet Smart)

Here is all of my fish information, and pictures of the mass. it is on her left side. Her scales go around it, it almost looks transparent. From what Ive read, it sounds like a tumor.

Just looking for some answers if anyone can please help!!!!

Aquarium Organism Freshwater aquarium

Fish Fish Feeder fish Organism Tail

Fish Blue Fish Freshwater aquarium Cobalt blue

Fish Fish Blue Aquarium Cobalt blue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No She definatly did not eat a snail? Odd question....guess pictures are misleading, because the lumps does not look like a snail shell. I mean possibly a small snail? But i did not know fish ate snails?

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
It looks like a tumor or a cyst, though it grew extremely fast for either of those. Nothing he ate would have done that. I suppose it could also be fluid in one side of the abdomen (like an asymmetrical dropsy), I haven't heard of that but if one kidney failed and the other couldn't take over complete function or something I suppose it is possible in theory.

You an add epsom salts to reduce swelling and pressure. 2-3tsp/g is appropriate for his case. This isn't a cure and honestly the prognosis isn't good but it may help.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Hmm..this could be a number of things: edema (fluid accumulation) resulting from kidney failure and loss of osmotic function, a cyst resulting from a bacterial, viral, or parasitic infection, a tumor, or something entirely different from any of these options. It looks too internal to be lymphocystitis...and it appears more fluid-filled than tumor-like. I'd be leaning toward bacterial, viral, or even parasitic. Are the feces normal looking?

You could try treating with kanamycin - a broad spectrum antibiotic with activity against most gram-negative aquatic pathogens - but you need to also make some maintenance changes. If the tank is uncycled (you have a filter but are doing 100% water changes, so I am assuming it is not cycled), then you should be doing a minimum of 1 50% and 1 100% water change weekly. You also really need a heater (the tank temp will exhibit dangerous fluctuations when the light is turned on and off).

That's all I have for now. If I sound blunt in any way, it's just because I'm extremely tired ;)

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I agree that she does need a heater and should be doing weekly partial water changes, but doing 100% water changes will NOT stop a cycle- the bacteria necessary to cycle a tank mostly live on solid surfaces.

Kanaplex will only help if it is a bacterial infection, otherwise it will stress her further and push her farther into organ failure (if that's what it is). It's up to you if you want to do it, it's probably the one thing that work give any chance (albeit a very slim one).

I have to think it's a tumor or cyst, just judging on the location, shape, and fact that the mass in only on one side.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It's not compacted is it? If you look at certain guppies you can see their poop inside of them, and this looks kinda like it. Only sticking out.
Maybe I'm just crazy tho.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Oh, I agree that 100% changes will not stop a cycle (unless the OP is washing out the filter too), but given the timeframe, the tank may not be cycled yet and either ammonia or nitrite may be exacerbating the issue. Upping the number of water changes, especially since the fish is ill and the OP does not have a good test kit, just seemed like beneficial advice.

I would also agree that Kanamycin is tough on the kidneys and could exacerbate the issue. However, like MattsBettas said, there is a slim chance that it could work, whereas she will undoubtedly die if no treatment is pursued. I'd keep watching for the rest of today and report any other symptoms, but if nothing new arises soon, you will have to make the choice to treat or not to treat. Honestly, just understand that the prognosis is not good at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts