Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I've decided to spawn my boy Rembrandt, he's a heavy finned HM Mustard Gas and my goals are for (a) healthy fry and (b) to continue the MG coloration. I'd like to keep my fry balanced fin wise, although I know it won't be a perfect spawn without some imperfect, or mostly imperfect fish ^_^ but I have no mate for Remmy yet and I need to pick one soon!!

Here's my boy, this is one of his first pictures I have of him where he still had the MG markings, as he grew up he kind of lost them.

And now, these were taken roughly 3 months ago. As you can see, he's full of tail! He's a full HM and sometimes can get to OHM when he feels like it :roll: All his fins meet, anal fin isn't longer than his caudal which is fantastic. He's also got some luscious ventral fins that were not split before he split them on a piece of sponge....this boy is the death of me with his fins I swear!

Showing more or less his colors and body form here. His body is fantastic, short and small but fantastic. One stubby ray on his dorsal but otherwise nice and full.

So as of right now, I have roughly three maybe four choices on aquabid that I'm looking at. Each have their ups and downs and I just need help deciding which one to get that would be best for Remmy. A fresh pair of eyes would probably help me out here where mine are going all bug-eyed from looking at the computer all day >.<

Girl number one:
Pros: has MG pattern, small ray count, HMPK (I know I'll get varying fin lengths)
Cons: Band around is copper color (will that negatively effect it? MG is supposed to be black band but Remmy's is blue), body shape isn't fantastic but seems workable. Tail doesn't seem to reach 180, although combined with Remmy that might not be an issue?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashmp&1400606675

Girl number Two:
Pros: Fantastic body! Fantastic fins! Looks like she gets to 180.
Cons: light body (not sure how that mixes with Remmy although I think his body color is more dominant?), larger ray count, looks like she may lead to rose tail genes which I don't want.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1400689215

Girl number three:
Pros: She's from AquaStar, has MG pattern, body is okay, ventral's are fantastic.
Cons: rounded caudal, too many rays and not enough web, anal fin is too long
She was offered to me by AquaStar but I don't think I'll be getting her but wanted to show her here anyway

Possible girl number four:
The seller is supposedly trying to find the girl that is similar to the girl below, it's been a few day's though....But she's got the pattern, very nice body shape, fantastic ventral's, anal fin may be slanted though, doesn't look like she gets 180 and too many ray's.

In doing this, it looks like number one may be the way to go? She seems to have the most pro's about her and I don't think the copper will effect the MG coloration since her body is still blue, albeit metallic but that shouldn't interfere too much, correct? The only thing would then be her body shape.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The non breeder opinion of Pippin is either girl number three, or girl number two. I would think that all fry(As long as the female you chose was a full half moon)they all would be half moons, as it is a recessive trait, so hopefully they would all carry only half moon genes.
I'm not that sure about the colours. i'm sure the Aquarium Wiki has something on it though.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pip.

My boy is an OHM so even if the girls didn't fully reach 180, he would make up for it. However most of the fry will take after their mother in form. Assumingly though I don't want rounded edges like girl one, three, four, or the last one. Girl five has some messed up scales so while her fins are very desirable, I don't think I want that.

The sixth girl is desirable as she doesn't have many ray count, anal fin is slightly slanted though, again I don't know how copper/blue mixes, but body looks good.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
As another non breeder opinion, my favorites out of your choices are four and six. I wish I could help out more with the genetics part but im horrible at that.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
With Remmy (isn't he getting old? Make sure he's VERY well conditioned and healthy), I would want a girl with a lower ray count and smaller tail- he has ridiculous fins.

Number one has nice form, but the color might be what makes or breaks it for her.

I would immediately rule out number two, unless you want fish with awfully big and rosetail caudals.

Number three has some form issues but will keep his color the best.

Number four has a lot of branches, a slanted anal fin, and the lighting doesn't really let use see the color on the body.

Number five has great form, but a lot of rays... Watch that, but otherwise she's nice.

Number six... Color again, she has that copper. Good form though that should be comparable with Remmy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I like 6, but I couldn't tell you from a breeders point of view because I don't breed. I just think she is so beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
7,239 Posts
I agree with matt - #5 and #6
#5 may produce rose - checkout the breeder's collection. If he has roses, best be careful. Otherwise, you can assume that female is safe (rose created from self breeding is safe as long as you do not inbreed them)

#6: to my knowledge copper is recessive towards irid colors. Since your boy is blue, which is genetically a mix of turquoise and steel blue, thus you will produce all irid colors.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone! I've decided on girl #5 and #6 just in case, good to have a back up plan if I need one!

Remmy will be conditioned longer than most as he is older. Currently in the divided tank he's been blowing bubble nests and flaring ridiculously at his neighbor Pierce, a young female DT. So he's certainly showing he's still willing and very much able, he's healthy as a horse, he's bitten his fins in frustration (but really, who wouldn't if you had a fancy young female on the other side of the divider you can't get to? ;-)) but otherwise his health is better than that of my Turquoise Dragon PK and my male VT who are both much younger than he.

·
Super Moderator
7,239 Posts
Just in case, use shallow method. If possible a rather small plastic container that can easily fit in your grow out. That way remmy doesn't have to work that hard. And by the time you remove him, you can pour the fry into the growout/bigger tank.

As long as he is active, he can do it.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, thanks for the confirmation! I do believe he can do it and we'll take it slow with him just to make sure. But he's made some pretty impressive nests before!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all have similar size? I would choice number one, a metallic with long fins will look good!:D
We usually don't know the sizes but as they are young, it's assumed they are small unless they have Giant blood in them.

Also, it seems you didn't read the goals of this spawn :) I'm aiming for Mustard Gas, not metallics, and with less finnage. But thanks for your opinion anyway.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I don't like to be a downer, but I personally think he is too old for breeding, and it will ultimately kill him off.

I am not a breeder and have never bred betta's, but from my understanding the males need to be in peak condition and a older male like Remmy will likely even struggle with the wrap, and will be shattered before the work really begins. Not to mention any injuries he sustains will take longer to heal, and if he is exhausted through tending the fry, he will likely get infections easier being older. If I remember correctly Remmy has never even been bred so he is also inexperienced, so it's not like he's a old pro, (apologies if that info is wrong). The last pictures I remember seeing of him he looked quite frail, a pensioner of the betta world. I just think it is a bad idea, and to be honest a little cruel to him, for the stress to him.

I hope I am wrong for Remmy's sake.

·
Banned
688 Posts
i should probably warn you about the Copper. My friend breeds only copper and has several lines. She says once you breed it into a line, its almost impossible to get it out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.