Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, many of you have been helping me in treating my boy with the bad fin and body rot over the last 3 months, but it is now much worse. I have tried many courses of many medicines and in the end to know avail. After much thought, sadness and consideration mostly on his part, I have decided it is too far gone and I can't stand to watch him suffer anymore . he is just rotting away in front of me each day and it is heartbreaking. I know what I am asking is not an easy thing but Iwant to humainly uthenize him now. Yester day when I looked his back rot had spread alot since the day before and is open and red and today again worse and that is with treatment in perfectly clean water. So at least this way he will be restored to a painless version of his former beauty andwill swim aaround in peace with all the fishies under the rainbow bridge. Please help me, tell me how I can do this for him. Thank you very much for your help. Sad mommy to Calypso my avatar. My almost 4 year old betta and I will miss him and his beauty.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the medicine you used didn't work or anything else for that matter, I don't know what else could. Perhaps swimming beneath the Rainbow Bridge is best...I'm sorry.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx Jello, I do believe it is best at this point. I just need to know how to do it kindly.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Clove Oil (you can buy it at health foods stores) is the best for putting your babies to rest. The best way to do it is to get a small container - like a tupperware container of sorts. Put some tank water into it and an air store or something like it so there is some sort of flow. Add the clove oil. Wait like a minute or two so the oil is well dispersed in the water. Then gentle add your baby. I prefer to walk away at this point because I can't stand to see them move on. Come back in about 30 minutes (you want to make sure that he has been fully put the rest) and then dispose of your fish as you would normally.
In terms of how much - it shouldn't take that much. like a splash or so will do. If your nervous about how much -- a little too much is better than too little.
what the clove oil does is basically numb him and put him to sleep slowly and painlessly.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thank you. It has taken a long time and this decision was not make easily or lightly by any means. People on this site, please don't judge me to harshly as I really do believe I am doing the best for him. It is heartbreaking after 3 months of daily water changes and medication courses and watching and hoping and so much more only to see him getting literally eaten alive. Like my sister said "your fish has flesh eating disease and it is time" I can't stand it any more and don't want him in any more pain.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I am not judging you at all. I completely understand. It got to a point with one of my previous babies. I could stand to see him suffer anymore. I believe that when its time, you know. It's a difficult choice but at the same time you don't want him to suffer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, that helps. I am curious about something though. If it is an oil and we are putting it in water, how does it work as the two don't mix?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Thats why you add an air stone (or something similar). It helps keep the oil disrupted in the water (similar to how when you shake a bottle of oil based salad dressing it gets mixed together).

Here's a good video video that shows you how to do it exactly (don't worry, a fish isn't euthanized on camera) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtEmGrLSN0

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much Vivian

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Anytime. Again, I am so sorry. This stuff is never easy but you are doing right by him and he will be swimming happily under the rainbow bridge.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
*hugs* Losing a pet is never easy, especially one you've been trying to save for so long.

But don't worry about being judged here; a lot of people on this forum have had to make similar decisions at one point or another in a long career of fish- or even just pet-keeping. I had a dog when I was younger who had to be put down because she had a brain tumor.

Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon and you'll be ready to adopt a nice new healthy guy to put in his tank. I'm sure your future fish will be super happy to have such a caring keeper. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you myEC, I will look around until the one I am meant to have finds me and of course will give a home to another, just not right away, it has to be the right one. This one I fell in love with and brought home and kept him in a LG vase with a heating pad wrapped around it until I could go to the city and get him a tank. Lol they find us. I do need to know the correct or best way to disinfect the tank and all the stuff inside as well as the sponge filter so that I can get it all cleaned up and safe. So when the next boy catches my eye I will have a clean safe house to put him in. For now I will just enjoy what time I have left with my old(4) year old boy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Swim in peace my little Calypso.
know you guys understand, but it seems weird to be so sad about losing my fish, but he was such a little character right from day one and such a galliant little fighter right to the end. I will kiss him but atleast he isn't suffering any more and can swim well and freely.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Swim in Peace little buddy. I definitely understand -- i've cried when all my fish have died.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Vivian, by the way where did you get your beautiful elephant ear? I never see them in our stores out here. The only ones I have ever seen are crown, double frill crowns veil, some deltas and half moons.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I got him at Petco! I know super surprising. About 6 months ago both of the petcos near me starting carrying them. They usually don't have a lot (maybe 2-3 at a time). Sometimes they are "real" EE, but just have opaque pectoral fins. He was an unintended buy. I went to petco to pick up some odds and ends -an extra heater just incase, extra food, some plants - saw him and fell in love. his name is Perry.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perry suits him. :) We don't have peace in Canada but we have many paces to buy them. Just not alot of the super unique ones. But, like you said the unusual ones come Long once in a while and that is when you bring home an unexpected fish. Lol that was Calypso, but I will find another to rescue from a cup one day and when my old man passes then I will have room for another, but I am not in a hurry for him to go. Any advice on the cleaning of the tank at all?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I would just suggesting giving in a good rub down. Take the gravel out and wash it by hand (if you have pasta strainer of some sorts, that works well). Wash each plant by hand. Wash the heater. Wash the filter and all the compartments. Rinse the sponge out. Lastly scrub the tank. Just make sure you don't use soap.
my boy Ronnie used to be in Perry's tank (Ronnie got a new tank) and he has fin rot from being kept in a very poor situation before i got him. Perry hasn't shown signs of fin rot and I've had it for a month now. I did the steps above using warm/hot water. and then let the tank dry overnight then put it all back together :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK Thx will do. I was thinking when getting it going again I might squeeze the sponge filters from Ceruleans tank into the other to help get the cycle going. One, because there is some waste and debre in it, and two, the biological stuff. I also have additives for beneficial bacteria starting and water changes to add to it. Do you think doing the filter squeeze will help get things going at all.?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Im sorry that you have to make this decision, as it is always a hard one. No one will ever judge you for ending suffering. Sip little guy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts