Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Clove Oil (you can buy it at health foods stores) is the best for putting your babies to rest. The best way to do it is to get a small container - like a tupperware container of sorts. Put some tank water into it and an air store or something like it so there is some sort of flow. Add the clove oil. Wait like a minute or two so the oil is well dispersed in the water. Then gentle add your baby. I prefer to walk away at this point because I can't stand to see them move on. Come back in about 30 minutes (you want to make sure that he has been fully put the rest) and then dispose of your fish as you would normally.
In terms of how much - it shouldn't take that much. like a splash or so will do. If your nervous about how much -- a little too much is better than too little.
what the clove oil does is basically numb him and put him to sleep slowly and painlessly.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
I am not judging you at all. I completely understand. It got to a point with one of my previous babies. I could stand to see him suffer anymore. I believe that when its time, you know. It's a difficult choice but at the same time you don't want him to suffer.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Thats why you add an air stone (or something similar). It helps keep the oil disrupted in the water (similar to how when you shake a bottle of oil based salad dressing it gets mixed together).

Here's a good video video that shows you how to do it exactly (don't worry, a fish isn't euthanized on camera) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtEmGrLSN0

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Anytime. Again, I am so sorry. This stuff is never easy but you are doing right by him and he will be swimming happily under the rainbow bridge.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
I got him at Petco! I know super surprising. About 6 months ago both of the petcos near me starting carrying them. They usually don't have a lot (maybe 2-3 at a time). Sometimes they are "real" EE, but just have opaque pectoral fins. He was an unintended buy. I went to petco to pick up some odds and ends -an extra heater just incase, extra food, some plants - saw him and fell in love. his name is Perry.

· Registered
6,730 Posts
I would just suggesting giving in a good rub down. Take the gravel out and wash it by hand (if you have pasta strainer of some sorts, that works well). Wash each plant by hand. Wash the heater. Wash the filter and all the compartments. Rinse the sponge out. Lastly scrub the tank. Just make sure you don't use soap.
my boy Ronnie used to be in Perry's tank (Ronnie got a new tank) and he has fin rot from being kept in a very poor situation before i got him. Perry hasn't shown signs of fin rot and I've had it for a month now. I did the steps above using warm/hot water. and then let the tank dry overnight then put it all back together :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.