Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My name is Caytie and I have a betta, who I love! His name is Friend (I know. Original.) and I have had him for 7 or 8 months. And I am struggling. Heres whats going on.

I got Friend on a whim at Petsmart. He is a male halfmoon betta. He was a pink white, and has turned more pink then white over time. I love him. I had him in a 20 gallon aquarium all by himself and he didn't seem happy. He was very droopy and didn't swim much. So I got tank mates for him. Just two tiny catfish and two small sucker fish. They all got along great. He's the most docile male betta I have ever owned. But he started getting stress stripes. I put him in a tank of his own, so I could control the temperature of the water and the water current better and he was looking much healthier! But now, he's turning black. D: I will include all info I have, and photos. Please help us!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No. I removed his recently because it was too strong.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, but it has a live plant. (I was told this would be enough??? )
Is your tank heated? Yes

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day. Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday he gets pellets. Tuesday Thursday he gets blood worms. I fast him on Fridays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week now. I used to do it twice a week, but I thought maybe I was stressing him out too much.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%. 100% every few weeks or sooner if its gross.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A water Conditioner, and lately, I was told to use about three pieces of aquarium salt when I change his water.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He is now half black. His body and fins are turing black. But no rot is present.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's very docile and was happier to be in a smaller tank by himself. He is moving around more and making his happy bubbles, but he is turing black.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Over the last few weeks.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I gave him a 100% water change, moved him to his own tank. Gave him a heater, and used a small amount of aquarium salt while his take was cycling. No medications yet.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. Just stress stripes, and now this.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Less than a year I believe.

Photos

This is Friend's 2.5 gallon tank. On the left is a silk plant that has no sharp edges, a glass bottle (which he loves. I bought him a log he can go in but he doesn't use it, so I moved it out to give him more space.) and on the right is the live aquarium plant we got to help him with the ammonia levels! It has a small heater under the rocks.

Since I moved him into this current tank, he's been making the bubbles (I call them happy bubbles) on the surface, something he didn't do before I moved him over.

This is Friend. He is turning totally black!!! But there isn't any rot on his tail. No fraying, no tearing, NOTHING. I'm at a loss.

Here is one more angle of him. :(

This is the 20 gallon he used to be in, before he started getting stress stripes.(you can also see the small log I had bought him and later moved. Also, the catfish that was his buddy. :) )

I have no idea what to do for him! I am beyond worried and want to do something so he's not sick. I have no idea how to help Friend.

PLEASE HELP US

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is no danger. He is just marbling. Marbling is when, due to a betta's genetics, they change color over the course of their life. And I wish my betta made bubble nests like that. Alas, he is content with small bubblenests.

·
Registered
441 Posts
He's just trying to turn you into a nervous wreck ;) It looks to me like he is just marbling as Revosok said. I have a betta that used to be clear (cellophane) blue and red and white, and now she is starting to turn black, too. Your betta is healthy just revamping his style.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I agree with the others about the marbling.

On another note, you need to add the filter back to the tank and figure out how you can baffle the outflow. A filter is required to help support a healthy nitrogen cycle in the tank.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
His "happy bubbles" are a bubble nest, which mostly just mean that he's mature. The males take care of eggs and fry (hatchlings), and they use the nest for that. No need to breed him, just letting you know what it means!

I agree that the color changes are just from marble genes. My marble did the same thing when he started building nests. He might do it again later, too.

Putting a sponge over the intake and outflow of the filter might help keep the current manageable for him. I had to do that in my 2.5 gallon aquarium kit. Before I did that, it pushed my female against the tank wall and made her struggle and stay away from half of the tank. Now, she swims all over.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Its just color change. But as others have said, definitely put the filter back, and just baffle it. Its super easy.

Also! Are they cory catfish? You should add more because they should really be in groups of at least 6. They are schooling fish. And I am pretty sure they also need sand, as gravel wears down their barbels. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts