Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a LONG journey my betta and I have been on since I decided to give him a 10 gallon tank. Ugh! So it was a classic case of "haste makes waste". I put him in the new tank from his 5 gallon tank too soon without checking the water levels etc.. After a few hours he started acting lethargic and seemed to be laying in bottom of tank without any movement. I quickly went to pet store and bought a kit to check water. It was WAY off. Had to use PH up and down until finally it improved. He was a little better but then went downhill quick. He then got stuck in filter. I thankfully was home and watching him so I saved him. I felt the tank and swore the water temp was too cold even though the chick at the pet store told me I didn't need a water heater since I lived in Florida. She was wrong!!! I bought thermometer and heater. It was too cold indeed. I prayed and prayed and prayed for him to survive. After a while he got his spunk back!! Started darting around, playing etc....BUT when I got home from work his tail was all tore up and shredding off as he swam. At this point he barely has a tail left!!!. I put some betta revive in the water (glad I had some on hand) and just keep watching him. Is there anything else I can do? And what caused this??? Wow have I learned some lessons the hard way. Thank GOD my baby made it. I feel awful putting him through this!!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
He probably bit his tail off due to stress. Possibly from the ph going up and down so much. What was the ph before you used the ph +/-? Do you know what the ph was in his 5 gal tank? And what is the ph at now?

My tap water ph is really super high, like 8.0, and it's never bothered my bettas at all. A stable ph is better than a fluctuating ph IMO. If he was already used to your waters ph, then there shouldn't be a problem with keeping him at that same ph.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.