Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently figured out that my 1 year old beta fish has swim bladder. However, for a while he has had the symptoms and only recently I have began treating it. Before I started treating him for swim bladder I was trying other things but feeding was consistent which means he may have had this disease for quite a while now. He was in his main tank which is a 6 gallon filtered and heated tank so I know that most likely he developed swim bladder from over feeding... I moved him this week to a 1.7 gallon hospital tank with medicated water. I have attempted to feed him peas 2 different days and he refuses. I have also fasted him for about 4-5 days now and looks like he’s only pooped twice. He does have an S shaped spine and he lays at the surface of the water on his side. I am running out of hope for what I can do to help him! Please share any advice or experience

·
Registered
9 Posts
I heard that when a betta fish flares the pressure makes him poop easily. U can maybe try that but Idk if he's gonna flare since he sounds inactive and is sick. What ways did u try to feed him the peas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried getting him to flare but had no luck and I cooked frozen peas and took the skin off. I held a quarter of the inside of the pea on my finger since they sink too easily and he wouldn’t eat it. Even when it sank he completely ignored it and swam away

·
Registered
9 Posts
idk if this is gonna work and is probably the worst idea (just thought of it ._.). Try putting his favorite treat in the middle of the pea (open the pea and insert the treat and mush the pea back together again if that makes sense... also put a small portion of the treat so he would be eating more of the pea). Sorry if that didn't make any sense and it may not work. If u have any more q u can ask :). Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I recently figured out that my 1 year old beta fish has swim bladder. However, for a while he has had the symptoms and only recently I have began treating it. Before I started treating him for swim bladder I was trying other things but feeding was consistent which means he may have had this disease for quite a while now. He was in his main tank which is a 6 gallon filtered and heated tank so I know that most likely he developed swim bladder from over feeding... I moved him this week to a 1.7 gallon hospital tank with medicated water. I have attempted to feed him peas 2 different days and he refuses. I have also fasted him for about 4-5 days now and looks like he’s only pooped twice. He does have an S shaped spine and he lays at the surface of the water on his side. I am running out of hope for what I can do to help him! Please share any advice or experience

One of the mods can move this to Diseases and Emergencies, in the meantime could you fill out this form and someone will help you. Here is the form I copied and pasted below. I hope he feels better soon.
Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

Your fish is your responsibility.
When seeking help be thorough as members give advice based on the information you provide. While we have many knowledgeable fish keepers here, please remember that members' opinions are their own and that it is up to you to determine the best course of action for your fish. We are not responsible for any consequences resulting from following the advice you receive here.

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Thank you for reaching out to us.

As noted above, we need the form completed and photos. Without the form all anyone can do is guess and that can cause more harm than good. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 6 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees at all times
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? API floating fellets but recently switched to "NEW LIFE SPECTRUM BETTA SMALL PELLET"
Do you feed flakes or pellets? both
Freeze-dried? None
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day 5-6 flakes/pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuumed with a siphon
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? yes "slendid betta water conditioner"

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 50
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 months ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? yes he bites his fins making them look frayed ( I have watched him bite them)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He sits behind the heater and swims in fast erratic motions
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes I have moved him to a hospital tank with medicated water and began fasting him
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 6 gallons
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 76 degrees at all times
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? none

Food:
What food brand do you use? API floating fellets but recently switched to "NEW LIFE SPECTRUM BETTA SMALL PELLET"
Do you feed flakes or pellets? both
Freeze-dried? None
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? once a day 5-6 flakes/pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 2 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuumed with a siphon
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? yes "slendid betta water conditioner"

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 40
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 50
Alkalinity (KH): 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 months ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? yes he bites his fins making them look frayed ( I have watched him bite them)
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He sits behind the heater and swims in fast erratic motions
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes I have moved him to a hospital tank with medicated water and began fasting him
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 year
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The picture of the main tank is included but he is in a temporary hospital tank like I said. The 1.7 gallon has API Melafix dosage and I am doing 25% water changes everyday on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wanted to also add that I bought a heater today with an adjustable temperature because I was recommended to increase his water to 80 degrees. He did poop last night and I can see that the pellets I was feeding him are visible in his poop. This makes me wonder if this is what may have caused the swim bladder since he cannot digest the pellets. The API pellets are what I can see in his poop and are relatively larger than the new life beta pellets I am using now

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Sorry your boy isn't doing well.

I don't notice the symptoms of SBD: Constipation, lethargy, floating upside down, sinking to bottom of tank. Don't see bloating, either.

Has he always hung out around the heater? Does he still do that with the new heater that gets the water temperature up to around 80? Is his poop the same color as his food? Is he bloated? What do you mean by "erratic" motions? The answers to these questions might send us in a different direction.

Can you get us a photo of him out in the tank?

He needs more cover/decor in his tank. Betta are shade-loving fish. Floating an Anubias or two would be good. Also, something to rest on near the top. Unless there's another reason, if the tank has a cover you can fill higher. If the water evaporates and you do a top-off, use distilled water. Distilled has nothing in it. This is why it is not good as complete tank water. It is, however, for this reason it is best for topping off. Salts, calcium, etc., concentrate instead of evaporating. Using distilled prevents adding more and dilutes what remains.

As long as he is eating and not lethargic (hanging on the bottom; never moving), feed only NLS and watch him for a few days. If there's no improvement or he seems to be getting worse let us know.

BTW, the API pellets have a lot of fillers; these are indigestible and pass. It's like dogs fed an inferior food will have greater volumes of waste than those fed a quality food. If a lot of waste comes out not much nutrition is going in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The pictures are deceiving I didn’t know how many to include but he definitely does have the bloating on the side I will try to snap a picture of it. He doesn’t sink to the bottom he floats at the top on his side/upside down. I will look into distilled water because his tank does have the evaporation quite often. He started hanging around the heater more recently and thought it may be because the space between heater and glass can keep him upright but not sure. His poop is light brown/clear with visibility of the pellets. I will include a picture of that as well. The erratic motions are sudden fast swimming in different directions and biting at his back fin. Let me snap a few pictures and attach them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have looked into adding more decor this is definitely something I want to do when I get him back in his main tank... What do you recommend for the bottom of his tank in order to keep live plants alive? Each time I put real plants in his tank they die quickly in the gravel.

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Thank you for the photos. I apologize for missing the information he was floating upside down and/or on his side.

The only things that come to mind are possible parasites or a bacterial infection. As I'm not well-versed in OTC meds I'm hoping someone else will give you some options and suggestions. No many of us here on weekends.

I use both column and substrate fertilizers. However, if you stick to Anubias you really don't need either. Anubias have a rhizome where the leaves emerge. The rhizome must not be planted for it can rot. You can tie them to decor, use plant weights to keep them down or let them float. They come in a wide variety of textures, leaf shape and size.

I am setting up a tank right now that will be 75% Anubias.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the photos. I apologize for missing the information he was floating upside down and/or on his side.

The only things that come to mind are possible parasites or a bacterial infection. As I'm not well-versed in OTC meds I'm hoping someone else will give you some options and suggestions. No many of us here on weekends.

I use both column and substrate fertilizers. However, if you stick to Anubias you really don't need either. Anubias have a rhizome where the leaves emerge. The rhizome must not be planted for it can rot. You can tie them to decor, use plant weights to keep them down or let them float. They come in a wide variety of textures, leaf shape and size.

I am setting up a tank right now that will be 75% Anubias.
I wanted to give you a little update since it’s been a few days. I am going to return him back to his main tank tonight or tomorrow morning. I was able to capture a pic where you may be able to see the bloating and I also cleaned out his entire main tank and redid it with some of the plants you recommended. Let me know if you can see the bloating and he has been swimming more but still unable to sit straight up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts