Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow Betta fish lovers !!
It’s my first time on any form.. so be kind hahaha
I’m inquiring about my half moon Betta “Philly”. His in a 22L tank with 2 albino Corydoras
About a week ago I noticed a small white dot on his side .. about the size of a pin head. He is super happy, active, sweet and playful, eating well so no behavior showing that anything’s wrong. He has lost one scale before so I thought it might be that (it was no prob and just fell off)
sooo, I was feeding him today (still his usual self) and I noticed a small white dot on his side is now a little bigger Grey/brownish colour and slightly protruding (approx the size of a sesame seed). Iv had tanks for over 5 years and have never really delt with much disease (have master test kit and I don’t overstock at all) do weekly 25% water changes and top up during the week whatever evaporates.
Iv had Phill for about 3 months and his been a great personality. Just wanna get this sorted for him!!
Nitrite 0ppm, Ammonia 0ppm and run at 27• .. I have 2 medium sized Indian almond leaves in his tank and run just a llllitle bit higher salt as he has a few tears on his top fins at the moment.
Any help would be appreciated .. I’m pretty sure it’s a parasite of some sort but doesn’t seem to be in line with anchor worm or icy..?
Thanks heaps fish peeps!!

· Administrator
24,561 Posts
Please fill out this form. Thank you!

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there, need desperate help with my fish .. his going down hill fast. :(

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Was in 22l now is 10l hospital tank.
Does it have a filter? Yes.. run it an hour or 2 a day.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 27• consistently (set heater)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Had 2 Cory’s now non

Food:
What food brand do you use? Pisces - Betta pellets , Tetra - freeze dried blood worms and Vita pet- tropical fish flakes.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? Yes and live.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day very small amounts at a time. His still eating atm

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week with evaporation tops in between.
What percentage of water did you change? 25-30%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vac once a month otherwise top up.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Vita pet - marine master water ager.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5.0
pH:eek:ver 7.5
Hardness (GH): 89.5 (5drops
Alkalinity (KH):71.6 (4drops

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1 month ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fins are all split and hanging long but frayed.. (he had a spot on his side — see above .. I thought it was going way but it got worse and then better now it’s smaller then ever but still there.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? His still sweet but much less interactive .. stays at the back of the tank .. :( not himself ... at all
Is your Betta still eating? Yes..easts if I sing him his “Filly the fish” song.. but appetite is hit and miss at the moment.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Did IAL and salt for 10 days he got worse so I did 7 days Melafix about 1 and a half weeks ago. Now back to a little more aquarium salt and IAL.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? Under 3 months.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not to my knowledge.

His not cottony looking and his color is still really good..
I jumped on this forum previously for the scale on his side didn’t think it was an issue but now I am at a loss as to help him any advice would be great but I’m very worried that it’s progressed too far I’m not sure what it is as my water parameters are quite good and very consistent ( no fluctuation) therefore I’m stumped how to help my sweet lil Philly.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Ph is not great but it’s very consistent .. I have 3 other bettas and they are all fine. . All the water is the same source and same parameters between all 4 tanks .. I tried to add a little bit of acid buffer to another tank (not phillys) bring the pH down but did not see Any affect over a week just stressed out my Cory’s. . Hence why I just left it rather then creating fluctuations as can be detrimental .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.