Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my fish for about 2 1/2 weeks and his fins were perfect. They are now all torn at the edges and getting worse by the day.

What is your water temperature? 76-78 degrees

What is your pH? pH tested high between 7.8-8.4 because of the hard water :cry:

What is your Ammonia/Nitrates/Nitrites? 0/0/0

What do you use for water conditioner/dechlorinator? Petco brand water conditioner

When was your last water change? What percentage was changed? 100% yesterday

How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gallon

Is your tank filtered or cycled? Filtered

Are there any other fish in the tank? No

What substrate, or other decor is in the tank? Before the change there was gravel, silk plant, betta hammock and plastic tube. After change gravel, silk plant, rock structure decor (very smooth edges, definitely not the culprit) and a floating betta log.

What brand/type of food and how often do you feed your betta? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. 3-4 pellets twice a day.

What medications/treatments if any have you currently tried?Describe with CLEAR* photos what the problem is. (if you cannot take photos find one that matches your symptoms on the internet) When I adopted him his two back fins were solid and rounded out with the top and bottom fin tattered, which I looked up and appears normal for a Half Moon Betta. Over the weekend it looks like his fins have started to recede on the blue edges. I noticed one rip last week but thought maybe it just happened on the decor. Now both of his middle fins are no longer solid but tattered.

Detailed Description of how your fish is acting. He seems normal to me, possibly over active (I read hard water can make them a little frantic). He takes some short breaks on the gravel, in his plant or log. Before I noticed an issue, I was turning the filter off at night because i'm worried the current may be too strong but I've since read that was bad because of bacteria growth so now its on. Appetite is normal.

The first photo is Tuesday when i first noticed the fin issue. The second photo is today - couldn't get a great one, he was super active.

Thank you so much! I appreciate any help I can get i'm really worried.

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Has his personality changed? I think it might be tail biting because he has such a big tail, but if he's really un-active and hiding in the corner I might say fin rot..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His personality is normal, it hasn't changed from when I brought him home. Is there anything I can do to stop him or make sure it doesn't get infected?

·
Super Moderator
21,856 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

He's fin biting. To prevent infection keep his water clean and warm. The link below will help.

There's no definitive reason for why they bite so there's no definitive way to stop it. If you do a "fin biting" search you will find all sorts of ways people have tried to deal with it.

It's simply the bane of those of us who prefer longer-finned Betta. Sometimes they spontaneously stop; sometimes they never stop; sometimes they stop until their fins grow out and then start all over again.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both! on a side note, it seems there's not much I can do about the hard water if I want to keep the filter in (it's a minibow so it filters with carbon), is that a big problem or should I not worry about it too much? When I took the filter out the water was a little murky. I read that although it's not ideal, he will adjust. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
21,856 Posts
I have hard water, too. It's never been a problem so I wouldn't worry about it.

Betta are really hardy and can adapt as long as parameters like pH and hardness remain steady. It's why I don't fool with them...afraid I'll mess up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just as a side note....we found the betta log was tearing our first fish's fins. Which was a shame because he really loved it. Admittedly , we haven't tried it on any of the fish we have now, but his fins did stop getting worse when we took it out. Just something to keep an eye on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts