Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have these 2 females, No idea what they are, I'm planning to breed them, and they Need names! I don't have any idea of what to call them, easy names please!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Rose
Phoenix
Coal
Ruby
Obi
Void
Stellar
Stella
Midnight
Dusk
Queen
Alice
Kara
Sunset
Thorn
Luna(ones dark like nighttime)
seol(and ones red like the sun)
Flamingo
Mango
Stark
Ochid
Falcon
Cardinal
Poppy
Cress
Tide
Motor
Nightingale
Lila
Raven
Rook
Valentine
Bow
Pomegranate
Plum
Fir
Sekoya

Reactions: dennythebetta

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
they look to be ordinary red and purple veiltail females. They might be halfmoon or delta but from the pictures they look like common veiltails.

What would be your goal in breeding them?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, my goal in breeding them is to get started breeding, these are the first Bettas I'm attempting to breed, I like Ruby and Rose as names, thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you already have people and pet stores that will take the babies? Are you going to cull them all? I can almost guarantee you that no one will pay for a "mutt" betta that they could get at the pet store for a few bucks, let alone for that fish with shipping.

Breeding bettas is a lot of work, expensive, and not worth it unless you are breeding show-quality or close to show-quality bettas from experienced breeders (which you'll see for about $45 minimum, often over $100). You will end up a few hundred dollars poorer (if you're lucky) and with 20-500 babies that nobody wants.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Teacup, this would be my first time breeding, and i would not keep them all, I already have a few people I can give them too, i am not trying to make a profit, this is for fun, also if you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say it at all, and im not planning to ship them, plus i'm only going to let the strong ones survive.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you only want people to tell you things that are nice and comfortable, this is not the place for you. We are all focused on learning and teaching about keeping bettas here, even if that means occasionally criticizing, reprimanding, or correcting people.

You have made plans to breed and, from another thread, already begun introducing the fish without understanding the steps to breeding bettas or caring for the fry. You might produce fry and they might live, but you are setting yourself up for failure and a lot of wasted time and effort.

If you have not found a pet store to take the fry you produce, you might very possibly have to cull several hundred fry. This doesn't mean you let the weak ones waste away and die. It means you end their lives yourself, as painlessly as possible. I recommend looking into this and preparing yourself for it well before you consider breeding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay then since everyone is putting me down about breeding them, I wont. Thanks everyone for being so helpful and supporting! I guess I wont breed bettas

·
Registered
348 Posts
Okay then since everyone is putting me down about breeding them, I wont. Thanks everyone for being so helpful and supporting! I guess I wont breed bettas
Hi Gemini. They weren't trying to put you down, they were just trying to help prevent unnecessary suffering and deaths. I know it's hard to refrain from breeding bettas and doing fun experiments but we should always put their lives first before our fun and pleasure. And like people here already said you will likely have a LOT of baby bettas and no place to keep them or give them to. I wish you the best if you decide to go through with it but I hope you reconsider.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
You can definitely look into breeding! Just look for a pair that compliments each other. You want to help the betta splendid breed not hurt it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I will say it's a good idea. Breeding bettas is a good learning experience. You can have genetics class and learning how to raise babies. Feeding baby bettas involves timely dispensing of bbs and gentle water changes. Only a person who is responsible can take care of baby bettas!

I personally bred pet store bettas for baby bettas and not doing it for profit. My husband and I just like baby animals. We also had baby birds and wish we could have kittens, but our only spoiled cat is spayed. We were willing to have all babies at our home. There are only 6 survivors, which is actually better. One is very much deformed, but we take special care of him.

It is all what you have patience and time for and not expecting to get rich.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you fully understand all the steps to breeding and caring for the fry, and if you have the means to care for up to 100+ fry, then go for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will say it's a good idea. Breeding bettas is a good learning experience. You can have genetics class and learning how to raise babies. Feeding baby bettas involves timely dispensing of bbs and gentle water changes. Only a person who is responsible can take care of baby bettas!

I personally bred pet store bettas for baby bettas and not doing it for profit. My husband and I just like baby animals. We also had baby birds and wish we could have kittens, but our only spoiled cat is spayed. We were willing to have all babies at our home. There are only 6 survivors, which is actually better. One is very much deformed, but we take special care of him.

It is all what you have patience and time for and not expecting to get rich.
Thank you, I really just want to breed Bettas for fun, I'm hopefully going to pair two of my Bettas up, I have one Rose Petal Betta, and one veiltail, and two veiltail females, I'm not expecting to make a business out of this at all,

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great! You might want to start setting up a grow out tub now to get it cycled for the babies. I highly recommend a sponge filter. I rigged a diy sponge filter. I just rubberbanded/zip tied some filter floss to end of a piece airline tubing connected to my air pump. Then filter floss end in my tank.
Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know this has been mentioned a few times, but really, if you don't have people willing to buy the fry, it's not a good idea to breed. You'll end up 100s of unwanted babies. Because they're bettas, you'll have to house the males separately. So that's about 50 give or take jars that will have to be cleaned daily. It's also takes lots of time and money to breed them successfully. So please, really think about whether you can really provide the best quality of life for fish you bring into the world!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe I am more relaxed, but I don't see why it's a big deal.

It's not always that there will be 100's of fry, at least 50 males, etc. sometimes there are no males. Sometimes there are no fry!!! Why the stress? I had mollies give birth to 5 babies sometimes! I was told 200+. On top of that, they get eaten sometimes. Sometimes there were no survivors.

To me breeding fish is like get to that bridge when you cross it. There are lots if steps to breeding. It's not like put the pair together then Bam! Male fry have to be separated. It takes at least 1/4 of the year for babies to grow to maturity. Add to that, there are easy housing options.

AmI missing something? I don't see the big deal, except that it is a lot if effort, but it's good learning!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Golden they all mean well. There are a lot of experienced betta breeders here who are an amazing resource and do it far more often. Simply reading online or watching videos doesn't really have the same effect as those with years of experience doing this. I once thought it might be interesting to breed bettas, but changed my mind because it can be dangerous to the fish, and they have large spawns and I don't feel confident I could rehome all of the babies that lived. They don't mean to discourage you or be mean, they simply want what's best for the fish. Most store bought fish are random with what you get, and there is an art at choosing betta partners to get babies you can be proud of.

Maybe opening up a conversation with some of them can help you ^^ and if you really do want to try breeding, they could possibly help you try and pick out good potential partners. They really are very nice here, please don't feel discouraged or that you are being put down or unwelcomed. They periodically have politely advised me on things I didn't necessarily ask for, but I appreciate their years of experience and advice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts