Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I'm new to the forum although not new to bettas! I just moved in to a house at the end of May and set up a new aquarium since it's been years since I've been able to have one! I let it cycle through for about two weeks and my mom went out and surprised me with a betta to add to my new tank yesterday. I slowly acclimated him to the water temp and then removed him from his water to place him in the tank. He seemed a little on the slower side at first, but I figured it was just due to being moved about. I know she picked him because (in her words) "she's never seen one like him" but I'm afraid she might have brought me home a sick fish :( He mostly stays at the top of the tank and about half the time the lower part of his body/fins floats with the surface of the water while his top half/head stays normal. He has was looks like some bloating around his pectoral fins, but I'm not sure if this is noticeable due to his extreme light color (I've only ever owned dark rich red and blue bettas). I tried feeding him some pellets today, but he couldn't care less. I've been reading through the message boards and I'm just giving myself too many options of what could possibly be wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated because I definitely don't want to lose him!!!
Thanks,
Larry

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hasn't ate... have pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? tried once/day, hasn't ate

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? freshly cycled tank
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? haven't had to yet
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? used a dechlorinator (tetra aqua safe plus), some aquarium salt, aquarium bacteria (tetra safe start plus to help kickstart biofilter)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: close to 0
Nitrite: close to 0
Nitrate: 6
pH: unsure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? same since I've gotten him
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? same since I've gotten him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? As soon as I got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Your new friend appears to have Swim bladder Disorder which is making him floaty.

The first step in a SBD fish is always to fast for 24 to 48 hours and look for change, keeping an eye out for whether the fish is passing waste or not- the shape and color can be important.
Adding Epsom salts to the water can ease constipation and help cleanse the GIT tract (any grocery store or pharmacy will have it- 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons and 1 teaspoon per gallon for medicinal use).

Hopefully with just this they will turn around, most store contracted SBD is a matter of bad feeding and cold water temps which can be reversed, if it doesnt begin to subside in a few days moving on to a stronger treatment may be needed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your new friend appears to have Swim bladder Disorder which is making him floaty.

The first step in a SBD fish is always to fast for 24 to 48 hours and look for change, keeping an eye out for whether the fish is passing waste or not- the shape and color can be important.
Adding Epsom salts to the water can ease constipation and help cleanse the GIT tract (any grocery store or pharmacy will have it- 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons and 1 teaspoon per gallon for medicinal use).

Hopefully with just this they will turn around, most store contracted SBD is a matter of bad feeding and cold water temps which can be reversed, if it doesnt begin to subside in a few days moving on to a stronger treatment may be needed
Thanks Taeanna! I'll grab some epsom salts and try that. I've put him in a smaller cup floating within the 29G tank seeing as though he seemed to struggle with his buoyancy. Being in a smaller enclosed area I think he is passing a light green colored waste.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
This is good, let him pass what is in his system (by the sounds of it the store fed him a pea- betta waste is usually the color of what they ate). And hopefully it will stabilize, the shape you want is a round bean/ball shape. if it is long or stringy he may be either constipated or suffering from a GIT upset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is good, let him pass what is in his system (by the sounds of it the store fed him a pea- betta waste is usually the color of what they ate). And hopefully it will stabilize, the shape you want is a round bean/ball shape. if it is long or stringy he may be either constipated or suffering from a GIT upset.
Unfortunately, when I got home with the epsom salts he had passed away. :( Thanks for your help though. I definitely appreciate it!!!
Larry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts