Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!

Here is my story:
My boyfriend's assistant at work recently bought a betta for his office, about 3 months ago. After getting a new partner at work who is apparently scared of fish and didn't want anything to do with him we decided that we would take in the betta at our home as a new pet. The betta, Fred, who is a male, was kept in basically a 0.5 gallon vase for the past 3 months. After doing some research about betta's I learned these little vases people often use for their betta's are seriously cruel and we decided to spoil Fred and went out and got him a 20 gallon tank. The Marine land 20 gallon tank came with a 150gph filter and a heater. We bought gravel and some fake plants for the tank as well. After the water and everything was in the tank I did a fish-less cycle for about 24 hrs and I added the appropriate amount of water conditioner for 20 gallons. I also added some aquarium salt because his fins were a little torn and they looked like they were fading so I thought this would help in case to prevent an illness. At first when I put Fred in the tank he seemed very curious and happy, moving all around and up and down the tank. The filter and heater on the whole time. He seemed much happier than before and we thought everything was fine.....
But now it has been over a week and he hasn't eaten since being in the tank. They were feeding him freeze dried blood worms but he wont eat those since the move. We got him betta pellets, won't touch those. Now he just sits at the top of the tank in the corners and doesn't do anything. I did a 25% water change cause I thought maybe their wasn't enough oxygen for him that's why he was at the surface. We added new aquatic plants to help with oxygen levels. I turned off the filter because I thought it may be too strong for him but he still just sits at the surface in the corner. He is making a lot of bubbles however. We both really do not know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? He seems super sad. I just want him to be happy...it seems like nothing is working. :cry:

·
Registered
951 Posts
First of all, fish don't get "depressed".

A 20 gallon for a single betta who spent most of his life in a 0.5 is a terrifying experience. Unless it's very heavily planted, he probably feels quite uncomfortable and that's why he's sulking in the corner.

Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm still wondering how someone can be afraid of a Betta fish lol.. It sounds like the little guy is still getting situated. Like it was said before bettas do not get lonely or depressed to go from a vase to a 20 gallon is deff a culture shock How's his body look? Does he look alright any white stuff or any type of growth send some pictures Have you checked the Temp? The little guy might be freezing bettas are tropical fish and need to be in a heated enviorment in order to Thrive I would Raise the water Temp between 76-82 go for 80 in the begining and then taper down just to get everything going I would try to get ahold of some Brine Shrimp that might kickstart his appitite. The bubbles hemaking is a nest which suggests some type of serenity its perfectly normal bettas breathe air so its natural for them to blow bubbles and come up for a gulp but I think its a Temp Problem and everything else should fall into place after you warm him up alittle unless he has a visable issue

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
It is quite normal for a Bettafish to not eat for several days to several weeks after moving to a new environment. Given that he was in a half gallon before, and is now in a 20 gallon, I imagine he's feeling a bit overwhelmed. Make sure he has plenty of hiding places, and offer him food once a day until he eats, remembering to remove any uneaten food.
It's also possible that he was sick and it wasn't showing yet. Cold, unclean water is prime breeding grounds for illnesses, but sometimes, it takes a while for it show. How does he look otherwise? Are his fins fully displayed? Does he have rich vibrant color? A picture would be helpful.
He's staying at the surface because they breathe air. Lack of oxygen in the water has nothing to do with that. Also, bubble nests, as he has built, is simply instinct and a sign of breeding readiness, it has very little to do with health and/or happiness.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
76 is the absolute bare minimum, and it depends on the fish, my first female turned pale and became lethargic if her temp was anything higher than 76. My first male on the other hand, did better in temps above 78. So, you may want to dial up your heater just a bit and see how he does. Do it slowly though, 1 degree a day is good.
Also, you do have lots of plants in there, but not a whole lot of hiding places, get him some dark caves and houses, that will help him relax a bit.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
In conjunction with Sainthogan's advice above, you might try moving some of those plants so as to make a denser forest on one end. Sometimes they like that density to hide in. Also floating broadleaf plants gives them shade and places to hide and sleep near the surface.

I agree with raising the temperature nearer to 80*. Later you can play around with it and see what he likes.

What brand water conditioner are you using? What brand pellets are you offering? Can you get readings for ammonia?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.