Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a betta in a 1.5 gallon tank. Gravel dirty so bought a gravel cleaner. Before cleaning the nitrite level was at 1 which made me nervous. So I cleaned the gravel and changed about 1/2 the water and retested the water when all done, right after. The nitrite level is now 2!!! Why would it be higher? I just cleaned the gravel and changed 1/2 the water. What do I do? Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
well that sounds confusing. did you double check your testing?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I double checked. The only thing I could think would be that stirring the gravel raised the nitrite level??? What do I do?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
what type of tester are you using?

·
Registered
215 Posts
>_< <facepalm> Theres your problem. The strips are notoriously inaccurate. But, do another 50% water change just to be safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they REALLY Jodah??? Which strips would you recommend? I retested today, one day after the gravel cleaning and now nitrites reading at 0.5! Don't get it. You think maybe the cleaning stirred stuff up in the water and now that it all had time to settle back down to the bottom of the tank the nitrite level went down?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Liquid test kits are more accurate generally. There is some argument that test strips are more accurate when you get in the very high levels of concentration, but for the most part, liquid test kits are more accurate. API is recommended, but there are others.

·
Registered
215 Posts
nitrite has nothing to do with solids in the tank. nitrite is what good bacteria turn ammonia into. there is then good bacteria that turn the nitrites into nitrAtes. Seeing as this is a 1.5g tank, I doubt you were able to cycle it (I have only been able to get 2.5g tanks to cycle, and it's tenuous at best) I would assume that you just need to do more frequent water changes to keep the nitrite levels down.

I have used and would highly recommend the API test kits. Well, all except the gh/kh kit. But any of the others are good to use.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jodah, I do have a filter on the tank. How often and what percentage of the water do you think I should change?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Even with a filter, on a 1.5g, I would be doing 1 50% wc, and 1 100% wc. You may need to do it more often depending on how quickly your ammonia levels rise.

I'm assuming you have the whisper 3i that came with the tank. Those filter cartridges I only had last 2 weeks. I probably could have changed them once every 3 weeks, but there is very little filter material and the activated carbon that is in them, is usually used up within 2 weeks. but, your mileage may vary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts