17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 f
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? No What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Bloodworms on occasion
How often do you feed your Betta? 2 times a day
How much? 1 pellet each time

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Partial once a month
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Well water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Tetra Aquasafe fir Bettas

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? ????Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Some silver scales
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Lethargic!!! Only swims to eat or gulp air
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Betta fix. It worked another time, but this time it's not working.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Smthis is the second time
How long have you owned your Betta? 16 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS
I can figure out how to embed a photo.

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

1584494429400295011841642553489.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
Thank you for filling out the form for us.

Here's my observation:

1. One pellet 2 x per day is not enough. Most likely he needs three 2 x per day. Take a photo of him from above and post. With that we can tell if he has been eating properly.

2. Water changes in a two gallon should be on 25%-50% weekly. Without these water changes, Ammonia can build rather quickly and cause a myriad of problems.

3. Take a water sample to the pet store (before you do the next water change) and they will test your water for free. Tell them you want the exact numbers. Or, take a photo with your phone and post here.

Sometimes it takes a while before you see the effects of lack of food and/or high Ammonia or Nitrites.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. Right now I'm putting Betta Fix in the water though, because it almost instantly helped last time he was lethargic like this. Will that cause a problem with the water being tested? Im supposed to do a complete water change after day 7 of the betta fix. That is Tuesday. Betta fix is not helping at all this time. I just hope hes not suffering poor little guy barely moves.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He didn't come up to eat this morning.

Hes poking his head out, but wont come out of his log. I'll try to send a picture later. Is he dying? Is there anything I can do right away. Us there something I should order to help him?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He swims the tiniest bit then falls & flops over. Hes not even swimming to the top today.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Hi, have you been able to get a look at his gills? They should be a bright pink. Red, Purple or Brown is bad.
If they are discolored and with him declining this fast, I think it is time to look into methylene blue treatment.
Kordon Methylene Blue is readily available, I've pasted the instructions below.
Give him a dip for the first treatment, then you can use the constant 3 day treatment thereafter. I recommend using a separate container as the methylene blue will stain the tank.
Also, condition the water at least 30 mins prior to adding the methylene blue.

As an aid in reversal of nitrite (NO2-) or cyanide (CN-) poisoning of marine and freshwater aquarium fishes:
(a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
(b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
(c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment. parasite protozoans."

For use as a dip for treatment of fungus or external parasitic protozoans and cyanide poisoning:
(a) Prepare a nonmetallic container of sufficient size to contain the fish to be treated by adding water similar to the original aquarium.
(b) Add 5 teaspoons (24.65 ml) per 3 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 50 ppm. It is not recommended that the concentration be increased beyond 50 ppm.
(c) Place fishes to be treated in this solution for no longer than 10 seconds.
(d) Return fish to original aquarium.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much. I will definitely try this. Can I get Kordon Methylene Blue at a regular pet store or do I need a specialty fish store. I hope something is open today. I do appreciate the advice.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
I've never really checked the big box stores, my fish store carried it.
It's not as ubiquitous as pellets or one of the more common meds on the shelves even though many fish stores use it.
You may have to call around.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think his gills are ok. I'm no expert though. The thing I notice the most is his scales are discolored. Like a silvery bronzy metallic color, especially under his chin. I cheered him on to swim to the top to get a gulp of air & he did do it. He normally has a frisky personality though & "dances" when we talk to him. I'm worried.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We live in the country to a fish store will be a hike. I will call around. I'm pretty attached to the little guy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Should I change his water now to get rid of the Betta Fix or just leave it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We found the Kordon Methylene Blue at a fish store. 30 minutes away. We are heading out now. The guy working there recommended changing to Spring Water. Hes also going to test our water.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Sorry, didn't check on this last night.
Yes, give him some fresh water, remove the betta fix. While I don't think it hurts things, I would rather not mix medications.
Remember, the methylene blue will stain the aquarium so better if it's performed in a clean container (tupperware or something of the sort).
Without accurate water test results, I cannot say for sure about the well water. I do not disagree with the guy at the store about using Spring water, it provides a good baseline for him, but as mentioned, without test results, I can't say the well water is a problem and spring water can get pricey to be constantly using it.
It is possible he's suffering from multiple issues, but I want to first address the possible toxicity issue as it is what is popping out to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We just did the "dip" yesterday. He seems to be swimming better, but not often. Should I add drops to the water he is living in? If I do it outside the tank, how long does he stay in it? He went for the bloodworm today. He swam up fast for it. The store never called me with results for our water.

Do you think it could be swim bladder?
20200319_183453.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Hi, yes follow the directions for a 3 - 5 day treatment below. Preferably outside the tank to prevent staining of his home.
He does look a little bit big in the stomach area, but lets treat one thing at a time. He's still a little fragile.

Edit : Give him more food, see if he'll eat 3 - 4 pellets at a time.

As an aid in reversal of nitrite (NO2-) or cyanide (CN-) poisoning of marine and freshwater aquarium fishes:
(a) Remove carbon filter and continue to operate with mechanical filter media throughout the treatment period.
(b) Add 1 teaspoon of 2.303% Methylene Blue per 10 gallons of water. This produces a concentration of 3 ppm. Continue the treatment for 3 to 5 days.
(c) Make a water change as noted and replace the filter carbon at the conclusion of the treatment. parasite protozoans."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is not really improving. I'm starting to wonder if it is dropsy. Just looking at him makes me want to cry. When is it time to euthanize sweet Squeaky. :( I dont sent to give up, but I don't want him suffering either.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Is he still eating?
As long as he's eating, it's still a good sign he's got some fight in him.
Can you get an overhead shot of him? I don't see pine-coning in the previous pictures.

Let's give him another day in the methylene blue before determining if he needs something stronger / harsher.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts