Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
My male betta, Pod, has been sort of lethargic the past few days. He will lay on the bottom for a few minutes, but other times he seems perfectly happy, flaring and dancing. I looked over about an hour ago and saw a little pinhole in his tail! I'm fairly sure it's brand new, as I'd been looking at him this morning and did not see it.
He's also had a sort of flipped out gill for a month or so, but I'm not sure if that's anything to worry about or not. Sometimes I can see his gills move when he's breathing, sometimes not.

He's in a 5gal with a heater, filter (that probably needs changing, it's about a month old), heater and bubbler.

Please help!

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Don't change the filter!! I know some filter cartridges say "change after a month" but it's their way to steal your money. That filter cartridge has the beneficial bacteria, that keeps your tank cycled (if it is cycled), or helps it to cycle. When you do a water change just give it a swish in the old tank water.

How often do you clean the tank?
How much of the water do you take out during a water change?
What do you add during/after a water change?
What temperature is the tank?
What else is in the tank (fish, decor)?
What do you feed him and how much does he eat?

And do you have a picture of him?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

I do about a 50% change once a week, clean gravel too.
I add water conditioner when I change the water (Top Fin brand).
Tank is at about 80 degrees
I have 2 plastic plants, a silk plant, a moss ball and a little hard plastic hut with no sharp edges, gravel and glassy rocks. There are also a bunch of what I think are codepods, that must have hitched a ride on the moss ball or something. They don't seem to bug him and he eats them sometimes.
I feed him Omega One Betta Buffet, 2-3 pellets, 2 or 3 times a day.

I actually am having a hard time seeing the pinhole now...there's no way it could have healed yet. He is seeming much happier though after I did a 100% water change, which I do about once a month. He's making bubble nests, which he rarely did before :)

So how often should I change the filter, if not once a month?

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
It could heal right away, if it was just damaged from decor. Plastic plants can do it, even when you don't think so... I haven't seen "pin holes" or tears from decor, since only using silk, silicone and live plants. Test the plastic plants... Run a piece of pantyhose on them, and if the pantyhose tears or runs.... Your fish's fins can tear as well.

Change the filter cartridge when it is falling apart... Or once a year. That's all you really need to do :) It might look "gross" but it's supposed to be that way lol. Just remove any algae or build up.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
My desktop betta, Jetta, is prone to those little pinholes in his fins. I have determined, through help from the kind folks here, that they are "blowouts" from flaring. They always heal within a couple of days and don't seem to cause him any discomfort. It sounds like you have a good cleaning schedule and nice warm water for him, so that's really all he needs to heal if it is indeed a flaring blowout. Jetta gets them every once in a while - maybe every other month or so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I did not know they could heal so fast! I thought maybe I just wasn't seeing it. He's a big flarer so it would make sense that he'd blow out, or it could have been one of the plastic plants that has little points that could have poked him. I will keep up with my cleaning schedule then and take your advice on the filter. Thank you, that's going to save me a lot of money! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts