Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My betta fish has been healthy for the past 7-8 months that I had him but lately his tails are shriveling up and he seems slouchy. His light broke so it's been a bit dim in my room. Also, the water I use is from our well. My parents own an oyster business so chlorine tests are taken every month for the health department. Besides that, I still use water conditioners to be sure. What should I do? Suggestions? I'm worried about him :( I changed his water today & put him near a lamp and he seems to be swimming a bit more and moving his front fins really fast. He's still eats normaly, 3-5 pellets in the morning and evening. Still, any suggestions about if he's sick? I wish he could tell me what's wrong himself :(((.he sits in the corner at the top or bottom or by his plant. I Don't know the temp. But I'm going to in the morning. Anything else I should pick up?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hello and sorry to hear about your fish. It sounds like he might have a bit of fin rot (from what you describe) but could you fill out this form and maybe post a picture or two? It makes it a million times easier to diagnose things correctly without stressing your betta out with unneeded meds.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Please help. I'm sorry for all the inconviniences

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? I don't have a thermonitor I'm getting one tomorrow. My room stays atleast about 75-80 most of the time .
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? The small brow pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day. Morning & evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Full water change since the tank is so small once a week . It doesn't get dirty very fast but I still do it every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?%100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't yet :(

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks a tiny bit less bright & brilliant colored blue. His talk are all curled up.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's not as active. Sits at the top or bottom corners, moves around fast every now & then but then stops. Still eats normaly though. He just seems down.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 4 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not at all I don't know what to treat him for yet :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. He's pretty big though. Not fat but good sized betta

·
Registered
47 Posts
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? I don't have a thermonitor I'm getting one tomorrow. My room stays atleast about 75-80 most of the time .
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? The small brow pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day. Morning & evening

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Full water change since the tank is so small once a week . It doesn't get dirty very fast but I still do it every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?%100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't yet :(

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Looks a tiny bit less bright & brilliant colored blue. His talk are all curled up.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's not as active. Sits at the top or bottom corners, moves around fast every now & then but then stops. Still eats normaly though. He just seems down.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 4 days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not at all I don't know what to treat him for yet :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure. He's pretty big though. Not fat but good sized betta

First of all 1 gallon is too small, i would prefer atleast 2.5 gallon tank.

second thing is the water changes, with one gallon tank u should change 100% water every 2 days.

·
Super Moderator
21,856 Posts
If I were you, I would get some API Ammonia Test Strips or an API Liquid Ammonia Test and check the water every day. When Ammonia reads .25 ppm, do a 50% water change. Liquid is better but if you're budget conscious the strips will do. Until you get a heater, leave a jug of water in a spot near his aquarium so the temperatures will be even.

It is difficult to maintain balance in a one-gallon aquarium or bowl but I understand sometimes that's all one can have or afford. If you can get something larger it will be easier on you and your Betta. PetSmart has a nice 2.5 with a canopy for around $14.00. You could add a heater at some point to keep the tank an even temperature over the winter.

Also, Skitters is correct: If you could get a picture it would really help and would prevent misdiagnosis.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not letting me post pictures from my phone Ive been trying :( my screen goes blank. Could I email it to one of you maybe?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Try uploading the pictures to an album on your account(You can get to it through your profile) and directing us there. That might work better for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, so I put my fish tank near a heater for a little while, watching it and the temp. Has been up 80 degrees and the ph level was 7.8. With the heat he has been more happy, seems more active and is also making bubble nests 😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts