Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my beta tank from a 5 gallon to a 26 gallon. The 5 gallon tank never had a filter, so I would always do 100% water changes. Now with the 26 gallon tank that is substantially more water I’m not sure how much I should change, or how often? Should I keep him in the tank during the change? What about the temp change between existing tank water and new? I was thinking of using his old tank heater overnight in a bucket with the new fresh treated water before putting it into the tank. I just don’t want him to go into shock or anything.

On another note, After researching different filters I settled on the aqua clear 30. I have already added a pre-filter, baffle, and it’s on the low flow setting but my little guy still seems to have issues swimming around at times. Earlier today he got sucked on to the pre-filter and couldn’t get himself off. Is there any way to prevent this in the future?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Are you just planning on keeping him in there or are you adding other fish? Water changes would kinda depend on that.
for the water temp I have a digital meat thermometer that I use to match the bucket water to the temp of the tank. I used to use my kids under the tongue thermometer but this is much more accurate. Little tip I picked up on this forum ☺

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you just planning on keeping him in there or are you adding other fish? Water changes would kinda depend on that.
for the water temp I have a digital meat thermometer that I use to match the bucket water to the temp of the tank. I used to use my kids under the tongue thermometer but this is much more accurate. Little tip I picked up on this forum ☺
Planning on keeping him alone, he seems happy as is. Thanks for the meat thermometer tip!

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
335 Posts
Yes, the tank is fully cycled and all levels are good.
Sweet! I normally float them in a ziploc bag for 10 mins, poor half of the old water down the drain, fill it up with 1/2 of the new tank water, let it float for another 10 mins, and release him. I would also look into some floating plants for the top of the tank as its a little empty. Also are you sure you want one betta in that big of a tank? You have so many choices and could get lots of pretty fish to be in the tank with him, like maybe 6 otos or corydoras and 6 harlequin rasboras and maybe some emerald tetras or cardinal tetras? You have lots of options

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,012 Posts
I've no experience with pre-filters like yours. But if it's catching your Betta it would catch baby fish and shrimp. So I would consider the issue might be the pre-filter itself.

I always use one like this one Large Overflow Filter Box Intake Round Pre-Filter Foam Sponge Fish aquarium 3PK | eBay

The one above also has a bottom guard. Have never known Betta or shrimp to be caught on it.

If you have extensions for the intake tube, use them. They are meant to insure the tube is as close to the substrate as possible. If the output is too much, find one of those suction cupped soap holders and place it under. Some people put pebbles or colored glass in the soap holder and I've seen people glue artificial plants to them, too.

As long as your boy has places to rest and eat the filter is fine. Keep in mind most Betta were raised in current-less tanks so had no opportunity to exercise and develop muscle strength. Give him some time and he will develop strength. Daily flaring sessions also help.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
There's this that may help;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts