Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
If I were to do another round of Kanaplex in the smaller tank, how much should I dose assuming it’d be best to treat the tank and not just medicate the food..?

I was hopping to have more opinions about medicating as it was mentioned that @Veloran @KekeTheBettaDoc are very knowledgeable about meds, but I feel time is running out and my gut is telling me to go for it. I need someone to give me the little push I need to do it or just bring me to a complete stop.
Is it Seachem Kanaplex?

I found on amazon someone asking for the dosage on a 2.5 gallon tank and it was 1/2 of a scoop. So for 3 gallons it would just be a tiny bit more. You could even just not fill your tank all the way up and keep it at 2.5 gallons maybe.

This is information about Kanaplex I found.

Remove all invertebrates - these are extremely sensitive to medication. Turn off UV filters, ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration like MatrixCarbon™ and Purigen™. Use 1 measure (included) per every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat this dose every 48 hours to a maximum of 3 doses. In cases of severe infections, it is possible to carry out two rounds of treatment back-to-back. However, this should only be done if fish show no signs of stress at the end of the first round.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I’m going for it! This is great. Thank you all so much for helping me figure out the dosage and most importantly for the moral support. I needed that! I’m going to start him back on Kanaplex today and will plan to go up to the max of 3 doses unless I see significant improvement before then. I will hold off on water changes for now or maybe just before the next dose in 48 hours and so on..? Apparently more frequent changes can decrease the efficiency of the medication. Does anyone think differently — should I continue with daily changes or none at all until treatment over?

The plan is to leave him in the 3gal tank for now just to avoid any additional stress — he has been through too many changes and handling in the last 48 hours, so I’d like to keep him as relaxed as possible. The net or breeder box plan is on hold. I’ll take my time feeding him with a long skewer stick as I did last night. He did great with the shrimp.

I want to get started on the IAL tea but I’m not quite sure of how much water to use for one big leaf, if I should boil it or just let it sit in hot water overnight. I’m still looking for more information, hoping to have a plan soon. Apparently there are many different ways to make it, just need to find the right one :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
It’s a rounded scoop per 5 gallon so I feel like a little over half a scoop would be fine.
I’m going for it! This is great. Thank you all so much for helping me figure out the dosage and most importantly for the moral support. I needed that! I’m going to start him back on Kanaplex today and will plan to go up to the max of 3 doses unless I see significant improvement before then. I will hold off on water changes for now or maybe just before the next dose in 48 hours and so on..? Apparently more frequent changes can decrease the efficiency of the medication. Does anyone think differently — should I continue with daily changes or none at all until treatment over?

The plan is to leave him in the 3gal tank for now just to avoid any additional stress — he has been through too many changes and handling in the last 48 hours, so I’d like to keep him as relaxed as possible. The net or breeder box plan is on hold. I’ll take my time feeding him with a long skewer stick as I did last night. He did great with the shrimp.

I want to get started on the IAL tea but I’m not quite sure of how much water to use for one big leaf, if I should boil it or just let it sit in hot water overnight. I’m still looking for more information, hoping to have a plan soon. Apparently there are many different ways to make it, just need to find the right one :)
I am glad he is still doing well so far! I am unsure about the water changes with the medication, but just make sure you do a nice one before you put the medicine in just in case!

Its very good he is still eating!!

I have never made IAL tea so hopefully someone will comment on this. I am assuming either way could work but do not take my advice on this because I do not really know.

Keep up the great work and I hope everything turns out well for your little guy!

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
There is no set dosage for tea. My leaves are huge (about the size of my head) so I usually tear one up and put it in boiling water until it’s pretty dark. You can always add more if you feel it’s not dark enough. Don’t forget to treat the water.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I am glad he is still doing well so far! I am unsure about the water changes with the medication, but just make sure you do a nice one before you put the medicine in just in case!

Its very good he is still eating!!

I have never made IAL tea so hopefully someone will comment on this. I am assuming either way could work but do not take my advice on this because I do not really know.

Keep up the great work and I hope everything turns out well for your little guy!
Thank you for the encouragement! I just finished dosing the tank and fed him a couple of shrimps. Since I just changed the water last night I decided not to do another one before this first dose. If anything I’ll wait until the next one. Thanks again for everything! Let’s hope this is the turning point!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
There is no set dosage for tea. My leaves are huge (about the size of my head) so I usually tear one up and put it in boiling water until it’s pretty dark. You can always add more if you feel it’s not dark enough. Don’t forget to treat the water.
Excellent! I was more inclined towards boiling them so this is great. I’m making it right now. I’ll remember to add some Prime after it cools off. Thank you so much!

One more thing —How much tea should I put in the tank?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
CF7CECC5-D094-4BB0-B2D2-8F08129C95CA.jpeg

Here’s the tea! Hoping it’s dark enough and that what appears to be oily stuff at the top is from the leaves and totally normal — I ended up using two large ones (bigger than the palm of my hand) in about 1qt of water. Still waiting for it to cool off and figure out how much to add to the tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
View attachment 1028463
Here’s the tea! Hoping it’s dark enough and that what appears to be oily stuff at the top is from the leaves and totally normal — I ended up using two large ones (bigger than the palm of my hand) in about 1qt of water. Still waiting for it to cool off and figure out how much to add to the tank.
Looks good! You can also keep a leaf of two in there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Looks good! You can also keep a leaf of two in there.
Yay! Thank you. So glad I didn’t mess it up! There’s one leaf in the tank — should I replace it with a new one or just add one more? The one in there is about a week and a half old.
Also, how much tea should I put in there? It’s about 1qt... and how should I store what’s leftover?

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
Yay! Thank you. So glad I didn’t mess it up! There’s one leaf in the tank — should I replace it with a new one or just add one more? The one in there is about a week and a half old.
Also, how much tea should I put in there? It’s about 1qt... and how should I store what’s leftover?
When mine are sick I make my tanks pretty dark, like iced tea colour but it’s really up to you. Have you taken any carbon out of the filter? I assume so if you are using kanaplex, if not take it out. You can store the left over in the fridge.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
828 Posts
Hey there. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. In all honesty I would go ahead with a full Kanaplex and Metroplex 3x doses 48 hrs apart at the same time-that should treat any internal and external bacterial infections as well as internal and external parasites. If that does not work I would look into consulting with a fish veterinarian or trying Potassium Permanganate (very strong antibiotic that vets use) and flubendazole (the strongest de-wormer I have come across to be safe for fish).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
When mine are sick I make my tanks pretty dark, like iced tea colour but it’s really up to you. Have you taken any carbon out of the filter? I assume so if you are using kanaplex, if not take it out. You can store the left over in the fridge.
Perfect, thank you! I’ll pour enough to make it dark and store the rest.

Yes, I removed the filter cartridge so there is no carbon.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts