Betta Fish Forum banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
As of right now this is what you need to look at doing immediately as Brian said.

100% water change.. NO filter at all.. if you have Indian almond leaves then use 1 leaf per gallon. Banana strips would be really awesome. that is also one tied strip per gal along with the leaf. If u are using a heater in the tank atm the stop. Use a heating pad that will remain on forever. 83-84 degrees most likely. My bettas wont even breed if the water hits 86+ unless they have been outside. I keep sick bettas in 1.5 gal cubes or 2.5 gal cubes. and they get 100% water changed every day UNLESS in that first 12 hours the indian almond and banana strips turn that water a proper dark brown and the fish improves. I agree with the salt. and over 80Degrees is a must that insures the cycle of everything in the tank forcing it to hit that salt while at its weakest stage.

For the bit about the heating pad, some heating pads do not have an automatic shut off and this is the kind you actually want, something that runs continuously. The higher heat from the pad will speed up the lifecycle of parasites and things if he has them and the salt will make them vulnerable. You must have the salt in the tank for this to work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 · (Edited)
I did a complete water change and cleaned the tank. I had to get him out so that I could remove the filter and its base — he ate three Bug Bites pellets in the process. Now it should be easier to feed him since food would not be falling through the cracks on the base. I added three large IAL and 3tsp (1tbsp) of aquarium salt. I don’t have a heating pad without an automatic shut off, but I will try to use the one I have. I will also be turning on the aquarium light (which I hadn’t been doing to avoid added stress since he gets plenty of natural light) this normally would raise the temp.

Just to make sure I do this right — since I’m supposed to be doing 100% daily water changes, I need to add the 3tsp of aquarium salt every day, correct? And how do you normally handle 100% water changes, do you take the fish out and completely dump out the water or do you drain it with the fish in there a leave just enough to cover him before adding the new water? Also, it takes a while for the IAL to do their thing, so with such frequent water changes there may not be enough time for the water to get dark. How do you get it to stay dark with daily changes — is that even possible?

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Please do not do 100% daily water changes. He is too fragile for that kind of stress. 100% water changes are never recommended.

I also don’t know what benefit a heating pad would have. He is primarily staying at the bottom of the tank so I would be concerned it would get too hot for him. Treatment for ICH and maybe some other parasites require a temp of 86 but I do not think he has ich and I wouldn’t recommend trying to alter the temp without an adjustable heater.

I am at a bit of a loss for what to do next. My only question is have you tried soaking the food in the medication to get it to him internally? I have heard good things about doing this with general cure. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did a complete water change and cleaned the tank. I had to get him out so that I could remove the filter and its base — he ate three Bug Bites pellets in the process. Now it should be easier to feed him since food would not be falling through the cracks on the base. I added three large IAL and 3tsp (1tbsp) of aquarium salt. I don’t have a heating pad without an automatic shut off, but I will try to use the one I have. I will also be turning on the aquarium light (which I hadn’t been doing to avoid added stress since he gets plenty of natural light) this normally would raise the temp.

Just to make sure I do this right — since I’m supposed to be doing 100% daily water changes, I need to add the 3tsp of aquarium salt every day, correct? And how do you normally handle 100% water changes, do you take the fish out and completely dump out the water or do you drain it with the fish in there a leave just enough to cover him before adding the new water? Also, it takes a while for the IAL to do their thing, so with such frequent water changes there may not be enough time for the water to get dark. How do you get it to stay dark with daily changes — is that even possible?
Sara made a good point about the 100% water changes. You do have to keep up on them though.

I almost made a big mistake when telling you about the dosage for the AQ salt. My memory must be getting kind of bad or something!

When I treated my betta for fin rot I did 1-2 Tsp per gallon not 1 TBSP per gallon so I really apologize for that!!

It was a severe case of Ich that I used the 2.5 tsp - 1TBSP per gallon...

The amount you added for aquarium salt is a good start and I would continue that for sure. It will help with the fin rot hopefully.

For the IAL you will probably have to add more as you do more water changes.

Sorry again for the dosage mix up!

I hope that we can find a way to get him better! Maybe the salt will help him , but Sara made a good point about finding something internal for him.

I would for sure continue the salt, just make sure to replace the amount per gallon when you do water changes. So if you replace 1/2 gallon you would put 1/2 tsp back into the new water.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Please do not do 100% daily water changes. He is too fragile for that kind of stress. 100% water changes are never recommended.

I also don’t know what benefit a heating pad would have. He is primarily staying at the bottom of the tank so I would be concerned it would get too hot for him. Treatment for ICH and maybe some other parasites require a temp of 86 but I do not think he has ich and I wouldn’t recommend trying to alter the temp without an adjustable heater.

I am at a bit of a loss for what to do next. My only question is have you tried soaking the food in the medication to get it to him internally? I have heard good things about doing this with general cute. Might be worth a try.
You made a good point about the water changes.

The salt is not really for ICH although he could have bacteria/parasite on the inside we do not know about...

The salt can help with fin rot. I am thinking at this point the fin rot infection could have spread internally. From what I got out of what Brian said, he is thinking that the salt could possibly help a fin rot infection that has spread.

At this point the AQ salt will not hurt, because he needs help immediately.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For the heat , I think the heater you have will be fine, I wasn't really very sure about the heating pad either but Brian seemed sure it would be a good idea. If it is around 80 degrees that should be fine I would think....

I feel as if you are getting so much different information Dani, it must be overwhelming.

I can speak from experience though that I think the AQ salt was a good call!
There are countless others who have treated fish similar to yours with it!
Here is a video that might be helpful.

You could even go as high as 1.5-2tsp per gallon and be fine.

The lady in the video is using medication, however if you look there are other videos on using salt.

How to Cure Fin Rot the EASY Way! - YouTube

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
For the heat , I think the heater you have will be fine, I wasn't really very sure about the heating pad either but Brian seemed sure it would be a good idea. If it is around 80 degrees that should be fine I would think....

I feel as if you are getting so much different information Dani, it must be overwhelming.

I can speak from experience though that I think the AQ salt was a good call!
There are countless others who have treated fish similar to yours with it!
Here is a video that might be helpful.

You could even go as high as 1.5-2tsp per gallon and be fine.

The lady in the video is using medication, however if you look there are other videos on using salt.

How to Cure Fin Rot the EASY Way! - YouTube
Thank you Sara. It is quite overwhelming, but I certainly appreciate everyone’s input. I also thought 100% daily water changes was pretty aggressive considering his state, but what do I know — I’ll try whatever is suggested, at least within reason.

How much and how often should I be changing the water? I’m concerned that now without the filter and water circulation things could actually get worse. The temperature has stayed consistently at 79 even with the light on — although it has only been about three hours. I’ll continue to keep and eye on it and somehow try to elevate it.

I have fed him medicated food. First with the first round of Kanaplex, then with General Cure while also medicating the tank and most recently Metroplex with Focus and GarlicGuard.

I’m feeling optimistic about the aquarium salt since it’s one of the few things I hadn’t tried recently. Fingers crossed, I guess...

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
You can leave the filter on but take the media out unless it’s blowing him all over the tank. I would do 25% daily for now unless you are using medication that give other directions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Perfect, I was already doing 25%, so I’m comfortable with that.

I was still medicating the tank with Metroplex, but with the 100% water change this morning yesterday’s dose is gone. I’m not sure if I should still medicate the tank. I guess I could just continue with the medicated food a little longer.

I wish the filter was external so that I could just plug it in, but having to put the base back inside would require me to take him out again. I prefer not messing with him anymore today, poor thing has been through too much as it is.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thank you Sara. It is quite overwhelming, but I certainly appreciate everyone’s input. I also thought 100% daily water changes was pretty aggressive considering his state, but what do I know — I’ll try whatever is suggested, at least within reason.

How much and how often should I be changing the water? I’m concerned that now without the filter and water circulation things could actually get worse. The temperature has stayed consistently at 79 even with the light on — although it has only been about three hours. I’ll continue to keep and eye on it and somehow try to elevate it.

I have fed him medicated food. First with the first round of Kanaplex, then with General Cure while also medicating the tank and most recently Metroplex with Focus and GarlicGuard.

I’m feeling optimistic about the aquarium salt since it’s one of the few things I hadn’t tried recently. Fingers crossed, I guess...
I think you have me confused with Sara.

It can be overwhelming for sure!

I tend to take a gentler approach using natural remedies for my fish in most cases and causing as little stress as possible.

Thus, starting at 1 tsp per gallon. Watch him for about 2-3 days and see how he is doing If there is no improvement increase to 1.5 tsp per gallon and again watch for a few days.

The final higher dose would be 2.5 tsp to 1 TBSP per gallon.

He cant be left in this for a very long time but hopefully you will see improvement within a few days.

100% water changes are a lot I suppose and the real Sara gave good advice but you still need to keep up on the water changes for sure and be sure to really syphon the bottom of the tank.

I hope he recovers!

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
I like to start slow with aquarium salt. I usually dose half a teaspoon per gallon. 1 tbsp per gallon is too much for this fish I feel.
25% water changes per day are good and remember to only put back the salt. I'm not reall sure what else we could throw at this poor guys but part of me feels like a break from all meds and intervention wouldn't be such a bad idea. This is just my personal opinion but I would stop all meds and just have him in IAL and clean water. If you feel like the salt gives you more hope than go for it but don't exceed 10 days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
I think you have me confused with Sara.

It can be overwhelming for sure!

I tend to take a gentler approach using natural remedies for my fish in most cases and causing as little stress as possible.

Thus, starting at 1 tsp per gallon. Watch him for about 2-3 days and see how he is doing If there is no improvement increase to 1.5 tsp per gallon and again watch for a few days.

The final higher dose would be 2.5 tsp to 1 TBSP per gallon.

He cant be left in this for a very long time but hopefully you will see improvement within a few days.

100% water changes are a lot I suppose and the real Sara gave good advice but you still need to keep up on the water changes for sure and be sure to really syphon the bottom of the tank.

I hope he recovers!
Thank you so much! Not sure what happened as I thought it was Sara’s message. Apologies for the confusion and thanks again for all your kind advice and follow ups :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I like to start slow with aquarium salt. I usually dose half a teaspoon per gallon. 1 tbsp per gallon is too much for this fish I feel.
25% water changes per day are good and remember to only put back the salt. I'm not reall sure what else we could throw at this poor guys but part of me feels like a break from all meds and intervention wouldn't be such a bad idea. This is just my personal opinion but I would stop all meds and just have him in IAL and clean water. If you feel like the salt gives you more hope than go for it but don't exceed 10 days.
I feel the same way. Probably good to give him a bit of a break from all the heavy meds. I’m giving salt a chance but I’m don’t think I’d be comfortable adding more than 1tsp per gallon — at least not for now. I think the 25% water changes, tons of IAL and salt are good for now. Hoping for the best. Thank you for all the wonderful advice!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think keeping the salt is a good idea. Giving him a break from the other medication is a good idea also.

Watch and wait for a few days, but please do not be afraid to increase the dose of AQ salt if after those few days he is not improving. You can increase it gradually from going to 1 tsp to 1.5 tsp and watch and see how he does.

You do not even need to go as far a 1TBSP per gallon you could just do 2 tsp per gallon instead if he needs it.

I had two fish with fin rot. One who made it , the other who did not.

The one who survived was given the AQ salt immediately and daily small water changes.

The other was one who I had no idea how to treat because I was a beginner. I did not use AQ salt because I did not know about it in time.

The salt acts by dehydrating bacteria and parasites. The heat speeds up the lifecycle of the bacteria, so you can see how warm water with nothing to attack the infection can cause a rapid decline in fish health as the bacteria are thriving.

I hope he does well with the dosage you have now!

As Sara said though, you must not keep him in AQ salt for a long period of time. Hopefully you will not need to and he will turn out ok!

The fact he is still eating is a good sign as of now! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Thank you. I will definitely keep you posted. I’ll try to take a picture tomorrow. I’m hoping that in the morning the water is at least a little darker. It has been crystal clear all day. I didn’t get a chance to make more tea, so I was hoping the leaves would get to work quickly.

And I’ll give the salt my best shot, hoping this dose works well, but I guess up to 2tsp doesn’t sound too bad.

Quick question in case any of you know — can a fish with internal parasites still have normal poop? I’ve read that with parasites it’s usually white and/or stringy, but his poop is completely normal so it makes me wonder if internal parasites could still be a possibility. Maybe intestinal parasites are the ones that cause white poop and perhaps there are other internal kinds that don’t. I’m just curious...

·
Super Moderator
21,920 Posts
Whatever you do, do not keep your Betta in one tablespoon per gallon of Aquarium Salt. This amount should be used of no more than 8-10 minutes' duration. It can also be lethal for a very weak fish. Sourced from too many to count but here's just one:

"Aquarium salt dip requires 1 table spoon per gallon of water. The time duration varies from 5 to 8 minutes depending on the severity. If the disease is related to fin rot or fungal infections, limit it to 5 minutes and for anything severe extend to 8 minutes.
"Important note: Never exceed the time duration over 8 minutes as it will decay your fish skin instead and burn its skin." (Emphasis mine)

Researching amounts to use for Bubbles' issues the recommended dose in not one teaspoon per gallon. It is one tablespoon per five gallons. That is around a half-teaspoon per gallon. Do a 50% water change after four days. As BettaLoverSara noted, replace only the amount you remove; IOW, remove a gallon and replace with one gallon with .5 teaspoons of salt.

Salt is also not a "cure." It is an aid in fighting diseases.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Whatever you do, do not keep your Betta in one tablespoon per gallon of Aquarium Salt. This amount should be used of no more than 8-10 minutes' duration. It can also be lethal for a very weak fish. Sourced from too many to count but here's just one:

"Aquarium salt dip requires 1 table spoon per gallon of water. The time duration varies from 5 to 8 minutes depending on the severity. If the disease is related to fin rot or fungal infections, limit it to 5 minutes and for anything severe extend to 8 minutes.
"Important note: Never exceed the time duration over 8 minutes as it will decay your fish skin instead and burn its skin." (Emphasis mine)

Researching amounts to use for Bubbles' issues the recommended dose in not one teaspoon per gallon. It is one tablespoon per five gallons. That is around a half-teaspoon per gallon. Do a 50% water change after four days. As BettaLoverSara noted, replace only the amount you remove; IOW, remove a gallon and replace with one gallon with .5 teaspoons of salt.

Salt is also not a "cure." It is an aid in fighting diseases.
I feel horrible now, when I had my bettas there were many other places that said 1 tsp per gallon was perfectly safe and people even recommended 2 tsp per gallon when I was treating for Ich.

I thought that this was dose normally used.

I am lucky my bettas all recovered, but maybe I was doing a lot of harm even though they appeared to recover?

I think perhaps I am much better at keeping them healthy vs treating them when they are sick.

I am glad this is the case of course because over the years of owning them they did not get sick often as I learned how to better care for them, but I think it would be best if the rest of you took over giving advice to Dani.

He is in very bad shape right now and I am just afraid that if we wait around, he may not be here.

I just want this fish to recover and still believe a low dose may help, but defintely not the high dose for extended time!!

Thank you for sharing this information!!

·
Super Moderator
21,920 Posts
I do not give advice based on what I find on another forum or YouTube. Too many base their advice on what they think instead of what they know. Instead, I search out long-time keepers of fish and then find studies or more long-time fish keepers to back up any advice.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts