Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three bettas I've had them over a month and a half they all have been doing great its been fun watching them grow and swim around.. They have tanks from one gallon to two and a half gallons they all have living water plants which the pet store said was ok rocks on the bottom food and treats tanks are cleaned regularly... Yesterday after work I noticed they had bubbles forming at the top they aren't eating and have been floating on the top more so on the leafs of the plants and are also loosing color. I'm just concerned and not sure on what steps I should take.... Any suggestions would be great.... Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
66 Posts
The bubbles on the top are bubble nests. Male bettas (sometimes female too) do this if they are comfortable with their environment. The plants maybe just loosing color because they are lacking either light or nutrients. I can't say why the bettas aren't eating...What food do you feed them? How much? Also do you have a filter and a heater?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have a heater or fliter... I didn't think we needed one.. We feed the fish one pellet in the morning and one at night also give them their treats once a week... Our blue one is doing the worst his skin looks like he is slimy.. He is the one not eating and just floating on top..

·
Registered
66 Posts
You really need to get the heater. Sadly bettas don't have fishie sweaters to keep them warm and cozy. You should also get a thermometer, to keep track of the temp. You could possibly feed your fish one more pellet, but make sure if they are getting too fat, fast them for a day.

Also a filter would be nice too. With that size of a tank and a filter you could be doing 50-75% water changes /week. If you do get a filter sometimes people complain of the current being too strong for their betta. If this occurs simply baffle the filter http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
I believe you have two threads on the same issue. For future reference, multiple threads makes it more difficult to get a complete idea of what's happening.

Please try to answer the questionnaire below.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think the other thread was split off from a separate topic and moved here.

The heater is mandatory. Bettas are tropical fish, they can't live long term in water that isn't at least 76 degrees fahrenheit. 78-80 is ideal.

I would also do a 50% water change if it hasn't been done lately. How often do you change your water?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so with all that being said my blue betta is not doing well today NOT eating at all and also has slime or something on him his fins aren't looking very well either!! Now what???

·
Registered
627 Posts
You need a heater. That is step #1. Bettas are tropical fish and the fact you don't have a heater means their water is much too cold. They can live in this, but their immune systems will be compromised from stress (much like a human living in conditions not ideal- think about being put in a room at 55F without a jacket).

If you can post a pic of the betta in question, it may help us to determine if you need anything in addition to the heater to bring your fish back to health.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.