Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told this male betta was an elephant ear betta, but I heard elsewhere that "elephant" or "dumbo ears" are just a genetic mutation. I was hoping someone could help me clarify that and/or tell me what type of betta he is. These are the best pictures I have of him.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I can't see the photos, so I can't really answer your question. They show as broken images to me.

But... All the factors we use to label bettas are genetic mutations. That being said, there are multiple different ways to label a betta, and each betta fish can be labeled at least twice, by color and tail type. EEs can be labeled 3 ways. By their "Elephant Ears", or extra large pectoral fins, and by tail type and color. So there's a lot of variation as top what one betta can be called. It was confusing to me at first, hopefully this will help you. And if you can get the pictures to show, I'd be more than happy to try to answer your questions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see the photos, so I can't really answer your question. They show as broken images to me.

But... All the factors we use to label bettas are genetic mutations. That being said, there are multiple different ways to label a betta, and each betta fish can be labeled at least twice, by color and tail type. EEs can be labeled 3 ways. By their "Elephant Ears", or extra large pectoral fins, and by tail type and color. So there's a lot of variation as top what one betta can be called. It was confusing to me at first, hopefully this will help you. And if you can get the pictures to show, I'd be more than happy to try to answer your questions.
Thanks for your help! I'll try to find a way to upload the pictures.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Very interesting tail. First time I have seen a feather tail. Very cute

1 - 7 of 7 Posts