Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello my bettas name is Kyle and his fins have seen better days the last few months. I have treated for fin rot and removed everything he could be getting his fins ripped or shredded on while also covering most of the filter slots and cutting most of the flow out of the tank

Housing: fluval
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? No
What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? Twice a day
How much? Hand feed for two min

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25-50%
What is the source of your water? Well
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out water
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? API conditioner
Nox-ich

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Early December
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? A lot of back and forth but most of tail has shredded
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I did with fin rot for about a month with no change
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta?

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

The below pictures are they day I got him and what he looks like now. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
This has been a continuous thing for the last few months and hasn’t seemed to affect him in a major way but I would love to get it to regrow if I can

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
He appears to have been fin biting. But to rule out anything else, can you fill out this form? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He appears to have been fin biting. But to rule out anything else, can you fill out this form? Thanks.

I filled it out but can you elaborate on the fin biting Bc I haven’t noticed anything like that

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
When you open a thread it takes you directly to the last one you read. My fault for not scrolling up...which is something I usually do "just in case." Must have been a Senior Moment. ;)

No one knows why Betta bite their fins. But there are lots of theories and one is the fins are too heavy so to facilitate mobility they start trimming. Note the difference in how long his fins were when you bought him as a baby and how much longer and heavier they are now.

I would up his water changes to 2 x per week of 50% with vacuum of the substrate. Vacuuming removes all of the feces and leftover food; they are was causes a diminishing of water quality. 2 x per week assures the water is its cleanest. Should this be fin rot, which I doubt, clean water is the best treatment.

With the quarantine it is difficult to find things aquatic. But, if you can get them, I would purchase (in this order) a gravel vac, Indian Almond Leaves or Rooibos Tea and SeaChem StressGuard.

Vacuum: Shove down into the gravel. Leave in that area until water run clean before moving to another. It may take several water changes to clean the entire tank.

IAL or Rooibos Tea for mile antibacterial properties: The latter is naturally decaffeinated but make sure it is pure with no flavors, etc. Make a strong "tea" of either and pour into the tank until the water is a medium brown. Store leftovers in refrigerator.

SeaChem StressGuard for antiseptic properties. Dose daily as per instructions as it dissipates after 24 hours.

I believe you can find the gravel vac and Rooibos Tea at Wal-Mart. Not sure about the StressGuard.

PS: I have a photo of my brother, who was seven, and me, at 10, holding a string of 50+ catfish. There were so many that we couldn't get them off the ground! We were fishing the pylons in Green Cove Springs, FL when my Dad was stationed there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts