Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my girls is sick- I've never seen anything like this before.

Yesterday morning I found her lying on her side at the bottom of her tank. Her tail fin was very damaged and completely clamped. She could swim if she tried hard. I took her out of her tank, put her in a shallow cup with clean water, and have changed the water 3 times since then. She seemed like she was getting a little better, as she could get herself upright and swim a little. Now she is completely on one side and when she tries to right herself, she flips upside down instead of right side up. She can't seem to swim at all.

I have no idea what to do but she looks very unwell. Help please!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Two pellets once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Testing now...

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fin damage, Clamped Tail fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lying on her side unable to right herself
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? QT container, twice daily 100% water cahnges
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PLEASE!! I don't think she's going to make it! :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She's getting worse. She cannot swim at all. Every now and then she sort of wiggles all over like she's trying to swim, but she ends up flipping herself upside down. I don't know how, since she is in clean water, but her fins are getting shorter. Her gills are very red and enflamed, and it looks like there are large dark spots in her body. Tumours maybe?

This is what she looks like now:

I've started Epsom salt 3 tsp/gallon for her to hopefully reduce some of the swelling in her gills/abdomen. Does anyone have ANY IDEA what I can do to help my girl?!? Please :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She died over night. RIP little Rosie <3

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm really sorry, admin need to look into this, the thread didn't show up untill now! I've been stalking the emergencies page all day and your thread didn't show up once! :((( I'm really sorry I wish we could have helped!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts