Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Bettas are a tropical fish so 72° is a little chilly, you want to raise the temperature to 78-82°. That might be a little difficult in a small container without a heater. Is there any way you can upgrade him to a larger one? Preferably 2.5 to 5 gallons. A larger container is easier to heat. You should look into an adjustable heater. I would also be doing water changes at least every other day in a 1 gallon tank. You can also add 2 drops per gallon of Prime to temporarily detoxify ammonia. I would also recommend a fast. We want to get his metabolism going with a temperature increase more food isn't going to help. Did you happen to see him poop lately? Was it white & stringy by any chance?

I would hold off on a Epsom salt treatment until you get the water changed and the tank to the proper temperature. A fast might be all he needs at this point and putting him through an Epsom salt treatment might just cause unnecessary stress.

Epsom salt can be found at the Supermarket or a Pharmacy. You want pure Magnesium Sulfate with no scents or aloe. It would be a good thing to have on hand if the fast and temperature increase is ineffective.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Try to get a thermometer if you can. A light isn't ideal but if you have a thermometer at least we can see where you stand. You really can't regulate the temperature with a light.

It's not the best solution, but a 7 watt preset heater might work in a pinch and the thermostat will shut itself off when it reaches 78°.

Can you move him into a warmer part of the house temporarily until you can get him a larger tank with a heater?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.