Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I know I went into this mommy hood uneducated on bettas, and I feel absolutely horrible about that! Since, I've done a lot of research and learned I was a very horrible mom, with the best intentions ever. Prior to his sickness I was changing his water once every week, and feeding him 2x per day, sometimes up to five pellets. He was like a little begging puppy and would only eat if I threw them right near his mouth. It was a bonding time, which I now learned I over fed him. In the beginning of January, I noticed Praline had a white area on his fin forming. Among closer examination, he had some fuzzy fungus near his rear on his body as well. I treated him with API Erythromycin and API fungus eliminator. I carefully measured on a scale correct medication amounts, considering his home is only 2 gallons. He was treated with two full rounds of each, and continued to eat and flourish through treatment. After treatment I went to changing his water 50-75% every other day, and adding API stress coat. A week ago he started sprawling out on his plants and was not as active as before. At that time he also stopped eating. He also has a gill that seems to be inflamed. Research led me to constipation and SBD. I decided to try and feed him the frozen shelled pea, with no luck. I've even been able to drop some in his mouth, which he spits out. I've vacuumed his jar out and he has not had a bowel movement in the whole week either. Researching yesterday I decided he needed Epsom salt in his water, and followed instructions from a thread on here. I made a gallon jug with 1/2tsp and did a water change and added it. Should I continue with the Epsom salt? Do you think he has something else going on? I'm at a loss, because he won't eat. I've also been reccommended Daphnia. I tried to upload multiple pictures, but it won't let me.
How many gallons is your tank? 2
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 75 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top Fin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Prior to sickness it was 2x per day 3-5 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1 per week
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip
What additives do you use? None, just distilled water

Water Parameters: I do not know them.
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Beginning of January was white areas and fuzz, then the SBD a week ago.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His white spots were better after treatment in January, an have since became white again.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He is sprawling out on the rocks and plants in his tank, and comes up for air and flourishes some.
Is your Betta still eating? No he has been uninterested since I noticed his sprawling behavior.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I decided to fat him a week ago, and tried frozen peas a few times, to see if he would have a bowel movement. After researching a thread yesterday I decided to start giving him Epsom Salts in his water. I also decided against a bath, but am open to that.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, jut since January.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? I rescued him from pet smart in July

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
The fuzzy white stuff is columnaris and he's got some fin rot too. For columnaris you would need to use Maracyn-two or triple sulfa. It's kind of hard to kill. I'd stop using the epsom salt for now.

I hate to say it but with him not eating or pooping for a week he may not make it, despite how much you try. Further treatment is going to be hard on him in his shape. He's got a lot of issues, poor guy. :-(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Soundwave, first I want to thank you for getting back to me!
That is super sad news to hear. It sounds like, I learned a very hard and upsetting lesson.
Should I just change his water, back to normal and keep him comfortable?i feel from what you're saying he may be too far gone. I don't want to stress him even more. But I'd hate to give up on him! Should I try the other medication?
I feel that among the fungus, he has something wrong with his swim
Bladder, because his gill on one side is protruding out, like something is pushing on it. Which I feel whatever it is is serious because he's not eating or pooping. A bacterial infection possibly?
What are your thoughts on meds or not?

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's a really tough call. It's up to you to try the meds or just try and make him comfortable. You say his gill is raised up like something's pushing it open--that makes me think a growth/tumor or maybe a parasite. It could be anything or everything, really.

You have my sympathy, both males I've owned have had hard-to-diagnose illnesses too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, last night..... HE ATE!
Yesterday was day two with 50% fresh Epsom salt water each day.
He started swimming around and staying upright more. Since I had been vaccumming to do water changes, I did not notice a bowel movement.
So last night he came out for me, so I thought I would throw a pellet in, because he is a picky eater. He actually ate it.
I tried to give him a pea soaked in garlic and he went and hid.
I decided today to just change his water back to his normal, no salt.
Now, I feel I should medicate him for the fin rot.
I had previously used the erythromycin, which seem to help, but I stopped after two rounds. Two questions: Should I try ampicillin? How do you know when you've completely healed fin rot?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts