Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I feel like I have no where to turn. So this betta (Squish is his name) has progressively gotten sicker. He was originally mine and then passed on to a friend, he did not receive the best care at her home so I have taken him back and now need to help him get better. Squish is a half-moon betta. He started with a small hole in the middle of his eyes which went away with constant water changes and a salt bath but it came back with a vengeance, it has now eaten away at almost half his face :( so once again I gave him a salt bath for 8 minutes which is what he seemed to be able to stand and I have been changing his water daily keeping it at around 75/77 degrees. He refuses to eat anything and just floats motionless at the top of the quarantine tank, he has also taken on an S shape with his body. After his salt bath he has just gotten worst, he seems to be pine coning some and now has white fuzzies coming out, some are located on his back fin and a spot on top of is head and the other right on the wound on his face. I have no idea what to do anymore, I feel like he is in so much pain and sad that he has gotten this bad. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it so much. I feel like he has everything in the book... (sigh)

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pine coning is a symptom of severe organ failure. On top of his other symptoms... at this rate, I think you're better off euthanizing him. I know it'll be sad, but I'm fairly sure he won't make it. I'm so sorry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was fearing. Yesterday he looked a little better and today was down hill again. I just didn't know if it was time or not. Thank you for your advice. I don't want him to suffer and be miserable.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
The white fuzz is called columnaris. which is a type of fungus.

at this point, I would get Seachem Kanaplex. It is the best medicine to give your fish with signs of dropsy the best chance. I wouldn't give up on him. Yes, it is extremely rare that a betta survives dropsy but if there is a small chance then I would take it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the Seachem that you told me about online because my local fish stores either don't carry it or have it in stock, hopefully it comes in tomorrow. I'm just hoping he makes it till then. I came home from work today to find him worst, :( he is pinconing more and has two new spots on his back of white fuzz but to make it worst is face wound hasn't stopped deteriorating, it has now gotten to the point where I can see inside his mouth. Poor, poor squish he makes my heartbreak seeing him like this. He is such a fighter! Although he is looking worst he is swimming more but that is about all, he is no longer his spunky, fierce self...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts