Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this is a bit early, but in the future I'd like to get a glass 5 gal tank for my Betta. I'm not planning on doing it for awhile, but wanted to get the costs and ideas together. Feel free to answer whatever and share you're ideas. I'm just asking every question I have here since... it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Right now my Betta is in a plastic 3.5 gal. There has been poop building up in the blue gravel I original laid down, and try as I must, I cannot get all of it out during water exchange. Is that normal? And if so, should I get some more natural colored gravel? What would you recommend?

The tank also has a built in carbon filter, which seems very fragile, probably because they recommend buying a replacement every 3 months. I was thinking in the future tank to upgrading to a sponge filter, simply because they seem durable and better for growing beneficial bacteria. What type of filter would you recommend?

Speaking of beneficial bacteria, my local pet store sells "Betta water" with beneficial bacteria already added. At least, thats what it says. They only sell it by the liter, so would it be worth dumping a liter of that stuff in there before trying to cycle the tank?

An immediate concern I have is my artificial plant. Even though it was sold at the same store as my fish, the paint is washing off the artificial rocks the plant is molded into. I tried my best to scrub it off without soap, but would really like to upgrade. He really seems to like hiding, playing and laying in the plant, so getting a better quality one would be nice. Are there any recommendations for a good artificial plant? I don't really feel comfortable trying to manage a live plant.

Thanks for any input!

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Do you have a gravel vacuum? Gravel vacuums are made to get the junk and poop out of gravel.

Most filter companies recommend changing the filter that often to make more money, in reality you should only change it if it is completely falling apart because thats where most of the beneficial bacteria lives. If you need to remove the filter cartridge it may set you tank on a mini cycle and it will have to get most of that beneficial bacteria back.

As for the Betta water it may kickstart your cycle but I wouldnt rely on it to cycle your entire tank. If you go on Amazon and search up silk plants for aquariums, many results will show up, the can be pricey but I got about 6 different good silk plants for my boy for about 60 bucks, I can link some if you'd like.

As for the gravel I use (I dont have live plants either) I use Spectrastone. Ive never used a sponge filter so I will let someone else help you with that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a gravel vacuum? Gravel vacuums are made to get the junk and poop out of gravel.

Most filter companies recommend changing the filter that often to make more money, in reality you should only change it if it is completely falling apart because thats where most of the beneficial bacteria lives. If you need to remove the filter cartridge it may set you tank on a mini cycle and it will have to get most of that beneficial bacteria back.

As for the Betta water it may kickstart your cycle but I wouldnt rely on it to cycle your entire tank. If you go on Amazon and search up silk plants for aquariums, many results will show up, the can be pricey but I got about 6 different good silk plants for my boy for about 60 bucks, I can link some if you'd like.

As for the gravel I use (I dont have live plants either) I use Spectrastone. Ive never used a sponge filter so I will let someone else help you with that.
I have a gravel vacuum which I use to syphon out water, but I just never can get all the junk out. Maybe it's just meant for larger aquariums... I've seen people use their vacuums and they seem to fill up with gravel and filter out all the junk, but by the time mine is even close to doing that the tank is already 30% out of water. Does that mean I should be getting most the junk off the floor? I was thinking it was just standing out because of the blue gravel.

Yeah I'm not throwing out the cartridges until they're falling apart. They're just made so cheaply that I thought I'd try a different filter later.

hmmmm silk you say? Yes please send me some links, thanks! 😊

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
Here's the Forum's cycling tutorial should you need it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go live plants. Look for easy to grow plants like anubias, crypts, hygrophilia, etc. I have them both in my tanks (20 & 3.5) and helps a lot with controlling amonia,nitrate plus its fun to watch the plants grow .

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I have a nano sponge filter in my 5 gallon. I prefer sponge filters over other filters for my bettas. They just work really well for my set ups. I’ve seen people use BIG sponge filters in 55 gallons but if I had that big of a tank I’d probably get a canister filter lol. With these little betta tanks though the sponge filters work really well.

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
I use these in my 2.5 tank. They don't take up much room and are adjustable. Start with low flow and increase as Betta gains strength and there is some surface movement.

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
hmmmm silk you say? Yes please send me some links, thanks! 😊
/Marina-Ecoscaper-Hydrocotyle Here is the first one with this one there were a few sharp pieces that I had to trim off with nail clippers, and if it is in a place with very high current the leaves will fall off but other than that I love it.

biOrb-Plant-Medium-Purple-Green Here is the second With this one I would recommend getting nail clippers and trimming the grass at the bottom so they dont tear bettas with long fins. They provide great shade for the bottom of the tank though.

Marina-Ecoscaper-Lobelia-Plant-8-Inch This is the third this one is great for covering space in the tank and my boy loves swimming through it.

top-fin-sword-leaf This is the last one I got at petsmart and couldn't find a link to Amazon, it it acts as sort of a hammock for your betta if they want.

All the ones after this are ones I haven't tried but looked like something I might buy in the future. A few are pretty pricey but its up to you if you want to buy it.
Marina-Naturals-Green-Pickerel-Medium
Aquarium-13-inch-Lifelike-Underwater
Marina-Naturals-Moneywort
Elephant-Leaf-Betta-Plant-Spotted
Aquarium-Lifelike-Artificial-Ornament

Hope this helps! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,141 Posts
Because from what I know there is beneficial bacteria on most surfaces of the tank but nut the majority lives in the filter and on the filter cartridge, even though there is other bacteria it wouldn't be enough to keep your tank fully cycle. It might make a small dent but that beneficial bacteria wont do more than that

·
Super Moderator
19,930 Posts
Because from what I know there is beneficial bacteria on most surfaces of the tank but nut the majority lives in the filter and on the filter cartridge, even though there is other bacteria it wouldn't be enough to keep your tank fully cycle. It might make a small dent but that beneficial bacteria wont do more than that
Exactly. What is on surfaces is a minuscule amount compared to what is housed in the filter. Changing the filter on a daily basis would disrupt the balance of bioload/nitrifying bacteria. That is why tanks either crash or have a mini-cycle when people add a lot of new fish. The sudden increase in the bioload overwhelms the nitrifying bacteria. That is why it is suggested to introduce only a few new residents at a time or use something like SeaChem Stability to give the bacteria a "boost."

·
Registered
2 Posts
In order to have a beautiful aquarium, besides hobby, hobbyists need to have certain knowledge when setting up and taking care of their aquarium.

Prepare rearing tanks
- Aquariums can be big, small, long, short, depending on the house space and different types of farmed fish ...

- Aquariums can be prefabricated tanks or stores according to the design and wishes of the hobbyist.

- Depending on the object is a freshwater aquarium, salt water or aquatic plants that have a different choice of tank.

Choose fish
The ornamental fish is very diverse in color, type and accordingly the value of different types of farmed fish such as arowana, goldfish, Japanese carp ... However, when raising ornamental fish farmers should pay attention:

- Must understand the behavior and characteristics of the species you want to raise, there are easily fish species like goldfish but there are very expensive and difficult species such as arowana.

- Avoid breeding fish that are antagonistic to each other, some aquariums with aquatic plants do not choose fish that eat plants because this will damage the landscape of the aquarium.

- There are species of fish that only raise one, there are species raised in pairs, there are ornamental fish species that must be reared in flocks, flocks of dozens.

Besides selecting fish, it is necessary to prepare the indispensable materials such as sand, stone, gravel, driftwood, aquatic plants, dung ... to be able to set up the aquarium.

Set up the tank

Before stocking fish, it is necessary to prepare the tank water and its landscape:

- After setting up the landscape in the tank such as planting aquatic plants, placing driftwood, rocks ..., check to make sure the water supply. The landscape setting in the tank depends heavily on the type of fish farmed.

- If using tap water, let Chlorine fly away, if supplied directly to the tank to aerate at least 1 day before releasing fish or treat water if the water is contaminated with heavy metals, toxins.

- Water flows slightly, flows slowly along the wall of the tank, avoiding strong flushing to cloud water or affecting newly planted trees, rocks, driftwood ...

- pH suitable for freshwater aquariums from 6.5 to 8, for marine fishes 8.1 - 8.3.

Depending on the fish species, install different water filtration system for the tank, with aquariums, it is necessary to have a water cooler to ensure cool water in summer, warm in winter. If you play an aquarium, you need to equip a CO2 tank ...

Take care of
Aquarium fish can be either wild caught or purchased from the supplier. Before stocking the fish, completely immerse the fish in a plastic bag for about 20 minutes to balance temperature, then bathe the fish with 2% salt water, or potassium permanganate.

The first day there is no need to feed the fish, the following days feed the fish in a moderate amount. Not feeding too much fish (fast fat fish), or too few hungry fish will attack each other affecting fish or eating aquatic plants that affect the beauty of the aquarium.

There are many types of fish food such as compound feed (packaged), or live animals such as worms, centipedes, or chicken, beef ... depending on the fish. Raw foods easily contaminate water causing disease for fishes, so be careful when using this type of food to remove all uneaten food from the tank.

Make sure the pump and oxygen system are working properly to ensure the circulating water and provide enough oxygen for the fish. When the weather is cold, use a temperature rise system to ensure the right temperature for the fish.

Prevention: The best way to prevent diseases for aquarium fishes is to keep the aquarium clean, keep the water clean: siphon, change water, wash filter cotton daily. Check periodically and clean water filtration system. Tracking the expression of fish through swimming, feeding ... to detect and treat disease promptly.

Thanks for reading

·
Registered
22 Posts
Live plants only require little to no care depending on what type you get. I have a live plant and it has almost doubled in size since I bought it and all I do is use a small brush and once a month dust off the poop. And when I clean the tank and change the water I take it out and just rinse it. I think it is honestly easier to clean than fake plants. My beta loves it. image.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
/Marina-Ecoscaper-Hydrocotyle Here is the first one with this one there were a few sharp pieces that I had to trim off with nail clippers, and if it is in a place with very high current the leaves will fall off but other than that I love it.

biOrb-Plant-Medium-Purple-Green Here is the second With this one I would recommend getting nail clippers and trimming the grass at the bottom so they dont tear bettas with long fins. They provide great shade for the bottom of the tank though.

Marina-Ecoscaper-Lobelia-Plant-8-Inch This is the third this one is great for covering space in the tank and my boy loves swimming through it.

top-fin-sword-leaf This is the last one I got at petsmart and couldn't find a link to Amazon, it it acts as sort of a hammock for your betta if they want.

All the ones after this are ones I haven't tried but looked like something I might buy in the future. A few are pretty pricey but its up to you if you want to buy it.
Marina-Naturals-Green-Pickerel-Medium
Aquarium-13-inch-Lifelike-Underwater
Marina-Naturals-Moneywort
Elephant-Leaf-Betta-Plant-Spotted
Aquarium-Lifelike-Artificial-Ornament

Hope this helps! :)
Thanks so much! I think i'll get the sword leaf for now to replace the plastic plant i currently have =)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts