Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I got a betta from my pet store. They sold it as a veiltail female and I was wondering if that is indeed what it is. I have gone through many websites trying to figure it out because I know that they could have been mistaken.

It has a beard, Flares at my other male betta from the side, kind of a big belly and short fins. I have looked for a ovipositor but sadly the belly is white and so I cannot tell.

I only have had one other female who I recently lost to ich. She was a lot more easy to sex then my current one. I can post pictures if this helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Hello,

I got a betta from my pet store. They sold it as a veiltail female and I was wondering if that is indeed what it is. I have gone through many websites trying to figure it out because I know that they could have been mistaken.

It has a beard, Flares at my other male betta from the side, kind of a big belly and short fins. I have looked for a ovipositor but sadly the belly is white and so I cannot tell.

I only have had one other female who I recently lost to ich. She was a lot more easy to sex then my current one. I can post pictures if this helps.

Thanks!

USUALLY petstore fish are sexed before they are bought from the wholesalers so already sexed by the time they get to the store.

Females do flare, my girls have big bellies (they are dropping eggs at present)

Please post pics :)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
when girls flare, the flare facing the thing or fish they are flaring at. When males flare, they swim sideways and flare to make themselves look larger. Look at the two ventral fins under his/her belly. If it is male, it'll have longer and thicker ventrals, and a female with have short, and thin ones. Also, pictures will help :)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
hmmm looks like a male from the pics
possibly halfmoon male pics need to be clearer.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
After seeing that video, it's DEFINITELY a male. Also, that tank is too small. I'd get him at least a 2.5 gallon tank, with a heater. He'll be SO happy to have that space.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome! Thanks for all the help. I have a heater and a bigger tank for him, it was just hard to video around it all. I guess I'll have to look closer when I'm looking for a female next time. lol

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Yep i stand by my HM male :)

His fins are actually quite big on his lil body so his body will grow to fit his fins a little more congrats and hes a speedy lil thing :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know the lids weren't switched because the actual cup he was in said Veiltail female. Life's just funny that way but who knows what happened. I'm sure he'll get past this little identity crisis. lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts