Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my boy, Donut, for a few weeks. He's very active and friendly. His was flaring his gills, today, and I noticed something hanging from the right side of his beard. It looks kinda like a large semi-translucent flake or a scale (pictures below), but I don't recall seeing it before today. He's usually super chill and just hangs in his betta log or just wanders around his tank. When I sit at my desk, where his tank is located, he swims up to the glass and will usually chill on the side of the tank I'm closest to, until I leave my desk. He doesn't flare too often. I use an air stone to signify meal times. No bubbles=food. He loves his bubbles and would only flare if I didn't turn them on, soon enough. Other than that, he's usually content. Today, he seems to be flaring more than normal, but I did also very recently put him on a diet because he needed to lose weight. He's been flaring at me, when I don't give him more. He, usually, only does it once, though. But, it's been non-stop for the last 15-20 minutes.
Screenshot_20210608-190734__01__01.jpg
Screenshot_20210608-190713__02__01.jpg

I wish I had clearer pictures. I know it kind of looks like it could be part of his fins, but I swear it's not. The video I have shows it a bit better, but I can't upload it. PLEASE HELP! I'M KINDA PANICKING!!!

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
-3.5 (getting him a 5)
Does it have a filter?
-Yes
Does it have a heater?
-Yes
What temperature is your tank?
-80掳 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
-He had a stone, but it was recently removed and the water has been cleaned/tested since then.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
-No, but he will have a Nerite snail, tomorrow.

Food:
What food brand do you use?
-Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
-Flakes
Freeze-dried?
-No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
-Twice a day, two flakes. Sometimes three, if they're tiny.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
-Weekly, I just added a piece of driftwood, so in the last week or so it's been every day or every other day.
What percentage of water did you change?
-25%
What is the source of your water?
-Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
-Drip. I use Fluval Stratum (I believe that's what it was called) and I was told not to agitate it, at all.
What additives do you use other than conditioner?
-None
What brand of conditioner?
-API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:.
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:
pH:6.8
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):
-I don't know the actual number off the top of my head, but I had a sample taken at aquatics specialty so, yesterday. I was told everything was basically good, except that the water was a little soft. I added a piece of limestone to his tank. I was told his fix it.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
-Today
How has your Betta鈥檚 appearance changed?
-He has something that resembles a large scale or flake hanging under the right side of his beard.
How has your Betta鈥檚 behavior changed?
-Flaring more than normal.
Is your Betta still eating?
-Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
-No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
-No
How long have you owned your Betta?
-4 weeks
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
-I don't believe so.

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS
Screenshot_20210608-195224__01.jpg

I'm super confused because it looks kinda natural and it's the same color as him, but I've never seen something coming out from behind a betta's beard, like that, before.

Registered
This is curious! I'm no expert, but I googled "betta beard" and pulled up pics that resemble your sweet Donut. He may just be beardly, haha.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not fuzzy and I don't think he's bothered by it. He's been flaring more often, but his behavior is still normal. He only flares when someone approaches the tank. He never used to flare at me, though. Occasionally, he'd flare when I approached until he realized it was me, in which case he'd stop flaring and start doing his little happy dance, but this time he didn't stop. It made me a little sad, actually. I was doing a 25% change, last night, because the driftwood is still leaking some tannins and I found a bubble nest hidden in the back of the tank, behind his log. I've had bettas that made nests, before, but their behavior never changed. Could he be acting more aggressive to "protect his nest"? Could he just be extending his beard out, as far as possible? He's the only fish, here. There's no eggs for him to nest. I'm thinking about removing the nest to see if he'll stop flaring, because I don't want him to overdo it with the flaring.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is curious! I'm no expert, but I googled "betta beard" and pulled up pics that resemble your sweet Donut. He may just be beardly, haha.
That's what I'm hoping. Maybe he's just a studly little man? I found a little bubble nest, last night. I've only known him to consistently flare over food. I'm hoping he's just extra beardly over the nest. Omg... would that mean he's only truly passionate when he's hungry or horny? He's the fish version of my husband.

Registered
That's what I'm hoping. Maybe he's just a studly little man? I found a little bubble nest, last night. I've only known him to consistently flare over food. I'm hoping he's just extra beardly over the nest. Omg... would that mean he's only truly passionate when he's hungry or horny? He's the fish version of my husband.
HAha! Well, your fish may be easy to figure out then. 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAha! Well, your fish may be easy to figure out then. 馃槀
Lol! That is a fantastic point! I introduced a blue mystery snail to his tank, today, and Donut will not leave it alone! I decided to name it Ordurve (intentionally spelled wrong). Escargot was just too on the nose. I was worried about it, at first, because I thought he was going to get aggressive towards it. However, I noticed that he keeps wrapping himself around Ordurve and laying on it. After about an hour, I noticed he was still kinda just cuddled up to it, nestled into the substrate. After a little bit, he swims around it and shows off his fins and his tail before nestling up to it, again, and he also looked a little brighter. I looked into the behavior and I am anything but an expert, but everything I found suggested that he's trying to mate and I feel so sorry for the poor snail. I feel foolish because out of character territorial behavior, flaring, bubble nest, pretty blue shell, I feel like I should have seen the possibility and I didn't even consider it. He is blowing bubbles as I'm typing this. I think I'll just give it a day and hope that he just starts to think its a rock or something. Either way, I'm hoping this just supports the idea that the the chin thing is just a part of his beard. God, I hope it's just part of his beard.
IMG_20210609_200639__01.jpg

Registered
Lol! That is a fantastic point! I introduced a blue mystery snail to his tank, today, and Donut will not leave it alone! I decided to name it Ordurve (intentionally spelled wrong). Escargot was just too on the nose. I was worried about it, at first, because I thought he was going to get aggressive towards it. However, I noticed that he keeps wrapping himself around Ordurve and laying on it. After about an hour, I noticed he was still kinda just cuddled up to it, nestled into the substrate. After a little bit, he swims around it and shows off his fins and his tail before nestling up to it, again, and he also looked a little brighter. I looked into the behavior and I am anything but an expert, but everything I found suggested that he's trying to mate and I feel so sorry for the poor snail. I feel foolish because out of character territorial behavior, flaring, bubble nest, pretty blue shell, I feel like I should have seen the possibility and I didn't even consider it. He is blowing bubbles as I'm typing this. I think I'll just give it a day and hope that he just starts to think its a rock or something. Either way, I'm hoping this just supports the idea that the the chin thing is just a part of his beard. God, I hope it's just part of his beard. View attachment 1031094
Lol! That is a fantastic point! I introduced a blue mystery snail to his tank, today, and Donut will not leave it alone! I decided to name it Ordurve (intentionally spelled wrong). Escargot was just too on the nose. I was worried about it, at first, because I thought he was going to get aggressive towards it. However, I noticed that he keeps wrapping himself around Ordurve and laying on it. After about an hour, I noticed he was still kinda just cuddled up to it, nestled into the substrate. After a little bit, he swims around it and shows off his fins and his tail before nestling up to it, again, and he also looked a little brighter. I looked into the behavior and I am anything but an expert, but everything I found suggested that he's trying to mate and I feel so sorry for the poor snail. I feel foolish because out of character territorial behavior, flaring, bubble nest, pretty blue shell, I feel like I should have seen the possibility and I didn't even consider it. He is blowing bubbles as I'm typing this. I think I'll just give it a day and hope that he just starts to think its a rock or something. Either way, I'm hoping this just supports the idea that the the chin thing is just a part of his beard. God, I hope it's just part of his beard. View attachment 1031094
What a character! Haha, he seems like he's feeling well and randy. I'll definitely keep checking new posts to see how he's doing. Beautiful new addition (and great name)!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What a character! Haha, he seems like he's feeling well and randy. I'll definitely keep checking new posts to see how he's doing. Beautiful new addition (and great name)!
Thanks! He is doing much better, today! He's back to his sweet playful self. Thanks for the emotional support! 馃槃

1 - 11 of 11 Posts