Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! My betta is indeed sick, and I am so sad to say that I am the reason..

I do believe we over crowded his tank with
1. aquarium rocks (ended up hiding most of the GUNK)
2. harmful sharp edges of rock/landscaping

and I was not doing once a week water changes.

Below I have pictures of my poor little betta's condition.

His name is Goku, and I will do everything I can do nurse him back to health!!

I've noticed that Goku has been facing tail down, face up towards the top of the tank, but hanging at the bottom or in corners.

We recently got a new heater and thermometer since its (kind of) been winter in AZ.
His tank stays between 80-85 id say.

He has a 10 gal all to himself, too big??

After I read a few forums this evening trying to look for answers to his laying upside down issue, I got panicked and super cleaned his tank. As you can see in the picture, he is like a patient in a sterile hospital room. I removed all of the (for lack of a better word) crap from his tank and will invest in a small cave for him soon.

I noticed that he has rust colored scales on the top of his head and back, as well as bulgy eyes.

gosh..
and I also noticed a bit of white fuz on the very tips of his top fin.

I pray I caught this in the right time before its too late.

Was doing a full tank clean/water change/crap removal the right move to get my betta back to better health?

I've also included the 3 products I use for Goku's care.

I am open to suggestions and I have a PetsMart near by and a Petco not too far either.

Please help this sad but determined first time betta owner.

With love,

Jenna Miller

Fish Marine biology Water Fish Organism

Fish Organism Marine biology Fish Water

Product Play-doh Aquarium fish feed Goldfish

Fish Marine biology Water Fish Organism

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
First of all, I applaud you for admitting that you are the reason so we know what we are dealing with. Some people don't tell the truth and just say "my betta is sick". Could you please answer as many of these questions as accurately as possible?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 83 degree F
Does your tank have a filter? It used to, but we felt it was too strong so we turned it off.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no, should it?
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nope he is alone

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I feed him the pellets (rarely) he doesnt like them, and mostly the flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? nearly not enough.. i really do think that was the problem, will do once every week or two.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I've done full water changes each time, since it was so infrequent.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just the betta safe seen in the picture

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I've never tested the water.
How might I go about doing that?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Rust colored on top of head/top body, slight fuzziness of top fin ends, bulgy eyes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he swims close to the bottom, head up tail down and nestles into the corner of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few weeks ago, just noticed the rust color tonight
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I completely changed the water, removed all decor (aquarium rock, plants, rock fixtures) besides the leaf
Does your fish have any history of being ill? ( he had a bloated belly about a month ago)
How old is your fish (approximately)? we have had goku about a year now, not sure how old he was before we got him :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
10 gallons is a good size for a betta and I understand about the filter but if you are not going to do frequent water changes, your betta is better of with the filter on. A 10 gallon tank needs a 50-100% water change (depending on how dirty it is) WEEKLY while a filtered one would only need a 50% water change weekly and is not as risky if you leave it a few more days. There are ways to baffle the filter, otherwise if you are not going to use the filter, then I would keep up the water changes.

Flakes are not good for your betta. I feed mine a small amount once a week. Flakes can cause constipation. When was the last time your betta pooped? How often does he poop? He could be in discomfort because of the flakes you feed him. Try frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp/mysis shrimp and frozen daphnia (not too often, acts like a laxative). He needs pellets for the nutrition though. The omega one buffet pellets you have are good for him, try to get him to eat them. His belly was probably bloated because he was badly constipated. It can kill.

When you do water changes, do you acclimate your betta properly? I would use Seachem Prime as a water conditioner. It binds and detoxifies ammonia. It is great value for the money and very concentrated.

To test the water, you will need to buy a liquid test kit. The strip ones are not accurate. Most people on here have the API Master Test Kit. But if you are on a budget I would at least get the API ammonia test kit and test for ammonia every 2-3 days and do a small (10%) water change every time there is ammonia along with the weekly water changes as scheduled.

Warm clean water and the correct care will probably clear this up. It may help to have no gravel so you can see how dirty it is. And use a turkey baster or gravel vacuum to clean up any uneaten food or poop from the bottom of his tank. Make sure none of the stuff in the tank have anything sharp on them, this includes plastic plants. Run them through pantyhose to be sure. And if you have a zoomed betta leaf hammock make sure you remove the metal wire inside it. It leeches something toxic in the water and is known to have killed some bettas.

If you want to try a treatment, do not use meds unless it is absolutely necessary as meds are harsh. Try 1tsp/gal of Aquarium Salt (API Aquarium Salt or Blue Planet Aquarium Salt are good) for no longer than 10 days. Be sure to dissolve it in some tank water first before adding to his tank.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Sorry you and your boy are having such a hard time of it. Don't beat yourself up and consider it a learning experience.

1. In a 10 gallon tank there is enough room for a Betta to get away from a filter's current. Unless the current is throwing him around the tank it is not too strong. Some current is actually good for Betta as it allows for exercise when they swim against it. So turn that filter back on. ;-)
2. A 10 gallon filtered tank with one lone Betta only needs a 25% water change every other week and maintenance vacuuming in between.
3. If you can't afford the entire kit then get the Ammonia test kit and do a 25% water change when it read .25 ppm.
4. Stop the flake food as he won't starve himself and will eventually eat the pellets. Frozen foods are good, too, but not as nutritious.
5. I'm pretty sure the rusty color is his natural coloring. Betta often change color.

You might think about getting a temporary "hospital" tank for Goku. You can get what's called a breeder box. It hangs on the inside of the aquarium and makes it easier for a sick Betta to reach the surface to breathe while still keeping him in warm, clean water.

Warm, clean water will go a long way toward helping Goku. If the "fuzz" on his dorsal is a fungus then salt won't help so I'd wait and get a diagnosis before adding it. I admit I'm not good with disease as I haven't dealt with it in my tanks in years. *knocking wood*

Keep us posted on how he does. Oh, forgot to add a 10 gallon is a great size for a Betta. When he's better think about adding lots of silk or live plants for him to play in. You can use coffee mugs or clay pots as decor just make sure to plug the hole in the bottom of the clay pot so he doesn't get stuck. Sand makes an easy-to-clean substrate as the gunk stays on top and is easier to vacuum. And I agree completely with iSheree about Seachem Prime being a better additive.

·
Super Moderator
2,779 Posts
Little short on time so here's the quick version.
As you're aware, his conditions stem from poor water conditions. He's got a little popeye going on and a fungal infection.
AQ salt could help out, but you could also consider an antibiotic, Kanaplex is generally recommended but you could use Tetracycline or Triple Sulfa (the latter two while less preferred are more readily available). For that fungus, you could look into API Fungus Cure, this should be readily available.
You can combine the antibiotic with the fungus cure, but DO NOT combine either of those with AQ salt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello friends! Thank you SO much for your in depth replies. You have no idea how they have helped me find solutions as well as ease my mind about Goku! I've done a 100% water change and tank scrub with hot water pressure. I removed all of his old decor and put in 3 new soft green plants and a betta log hideaway. I purchased a new cleanser for the water as well as some aquarium salt that I will dissolve into his next water change this week. He is swimming around and seems MUCH better and happier :) I am looking forward to his bubble nests hopefully soon! thanks again SO SO much! I love this amazing forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts