Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Bettas, 12 Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 11 Birds.
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 20 gallons but in a 1 gallon hospital tank right now.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 82-84 in the 20 gallon but around 72 in the 1 gallon. I was going to get a heater today but looks like I'm not going to get one until Monday. :(

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes but it's turned of right now.
Does your Betta have tank mates? yes. What kind? 1 aging tetra glofish. He is around 4 years old and tetra glofish are expensive where I live.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega 1
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? every day. How much? 1 split up a cube of bloodworms with the other fish 1-3x a week. Then I fast 1x a week and then feed omega 1 flakes and tetrabetta pellets.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of water did you change? 50% (I do less now because it's a live planted tank).
What is the source of your water? well water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8-8.0
Hardness (GH): 300
Alkalinity (KH): 180

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? a couple weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? she got very mild mouthrot and it's doing better
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? very lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? yes, like a horse!
Have you started treating your Betta? yes. If so, how? With tannins, jungle fungus clear, api stress coat.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Fin rot but got that under control
How long have you owned your Betta? within a year.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? no, perfectly healthy

Please help! I don't know whats wrong with her! PS, she has live plants in her hospital tank.

Water Liquid Fluid Fish Drinkware

Insect Arthropod Feather Fish Reptile

Automotive tire Lizard Tail Reptile Amphibian

Arthropod Fish Wing Electric blue Tail

Arthropod Feather Terrestrial animal Tail Electric blue

Wood Insect Natural material Metal Eyewear

• Sad
Reactions: StrawberryCello

·
Registered
2 Bettas, 12 Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 11 Birds.
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ended up not getting a heater yesterday because I got sick. She is getting worse. Please help.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
1,363 Posts
Oh no, poor Venus!

I don't know exactly what's going on, but have you tried epsom salt baths? Or fasting by chance?

Is her belly white at all? Or is it normal?
Is she still pooping?

I hope someone who knows more will come along. But I'll try the best I can to help currently.

Reactions: betta4ever!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried Epsom salt baths. I'm a little too scared to try it. It's just with my anxiety. :rolleyes:
I have also fasted her. I'm pretty sure her belly is normal.
I think she is still pooping.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Okay. I was thinking maybe internal tumour, but that usually shows in a way? Could be wrong..

Hmm. Fasting didn't make any difference?

I would recommend trying epsom just to see if it helps. I do understand your worries though!
Would it help if I told you that most Bettas do really well with it? And even if she passes out they're very easily revived. You can start with smaller doses and work up too.

I hope that doesn't sound like I was trying to convince you. I do respect your decision and worries, I've been there too! :)

Have you tried a pea? Maybe that'd help?

Reactions: betta4ever!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have fasted her for a few days, then fed frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp for protein. A friend said that those frozen foods help with digestion.

What should I do for the Epsom salt baths? Is there anything I should avoid?

I'll try a pea.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I'm not sure about brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I know Daphnia has good laxative properties, like peas.

For an epsom bath, you'll need two containers. One for the bath, and one that's 1/3 salt water and 2/3 tank.

For the ratio of the salt to water, the largest dose you can do is 1 tablespoon per gallon. But you can start smaller with 1-2 teaspoons.

Keep her in there for 12-15 minutes. 12 being less severe and 15 being severe. I'd probably do 12 with her for now.

If she does pass out, place her in the part tank/salt container for a few minutes then place her in her tank.
If she goes still, lists onto her side, and doesn't react it means she's passed out.

If she does great for those 12mins, put her in the second container for 2 mins/ten minutes less than what she was in the bath for.

If she does do bad, I'd advise against trying it again since it will happen again.

I hope the pea helps, or the epsom if you decide to use it. I'll start conducting research to see if I can find anything out about what's going on, if that's alright with you?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure about brine shrimp and bloodworms, but I know Daphnia has good laxative properties, like peas.

For an epsom bath, you'll need two containers. One for the bath, and one that's 1/3 salt water and 2/3 tank.

For the ratio of the salt to water, the largest dose you can do is 1 tablespoon per gallon. But you can start smaller with 1-2 teaspoons.

Keep her in there for 12-15 minutes. 12 being less severe and 15 being severe. I'd probably do 12 with her for now.

If she does pass out, place her in the part tank/salt container for a few minutes then place her in her tank.
If she goes still, lists onto her side, and doesn't react it means she's passed out.

If she does great for those 12mins, put her in the second container for 2 mins/ten minutes less than what she was in the bath for.

If she does do bad, I'd advise against trying it again since it will happen again.

I hope the pea helps, or the epsom if you decide to use it. I'll start conducting research to see if I can find anything out about what's going on, if that's alright with you?
Ok, thank you. It's totally alright for you do be doing some research!

Reactions: Eridanus

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No problem!
And okay! I'll let you know if I find anything out.

Reactions: FishandBirdLover

·
Registered
204 Posts
Eridanus has given you some good advice above, but regarding heat, is the hospital tank small/light enough to float in the heated 20g to keep warm? Or do you have a breeder box or critter keeper type thing you can use?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eridanus has given you some good advice above, but regarding heat, is the hospital tank small/light enough to float in the heated 20g to keep warm? Or do you have a breeder box or critter keeper type thing you can use?
We have had bad luck with breeder boxes so we don't have them anymore. The hospital tank is glass and It's pretty heavy.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
looks kind of like dropsy..
I considered dropsy too. But generally there's pineconing, the eyes start bulging (like Popeye), gills go pale, the spine can curve, and lethargy and lack of appetite. Usually it's from a bacterial infection too so bad water caused generally.

But FishandBirdLover does cleanings correctly and parameters seem fine. And I thought of why isn't the tetra ill too then?

That's just my thoughts. Maybe you noticed something I didn't?? @Gbay

On another note. @FishandBirdLover I haven't found anything else, but I'm at work currently and when I get home I'll search more in depth.
Have you considered trying Kanaplex maybe? I know that treats a variety of stuff, and in case I'm wrong and it is dropsy that'll help treat it too. Its worked for me in the past mixed with epsom baths.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have kanaplex on hand. Do they have it at Walmart? Maybe I could get it this Saturday? I am going to try a pea now.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't have kanaplex on hand. Do they have it at Walmart? Maybe I could get it this Saturday? I am going to try a pea now.
Okay, crossing my fingers the pea helps!!

I know it can be found on Amazon. Maybe it can be found at your Walmart? I know some are larger than others.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just gave her some pea. She is floating in a cup in the main tank right now so it can be warmer.

How to I do 1/3 salt water and 2/3 water? How much epsom salt?

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are some pics of her now:

Water Tableware Liquid Drinkware Plant

Amber Automotive lighting Wood Orange Tints and shades

Food Liquid Ingredient Cup Fluid

Dishware Ingredient Serveware Animal product Cuisine

Arthropod Fish Larva Insect Pest

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
She doesn't look any worse imo. So that's good!

Salt wise.
What size is the container you'd use? Largest amount for 1gal is 1 tablespoon. Lowest amount for 1gal is 1 teaspoon.
If you're doing a smaller container. Like a half gallon, max would probably be 1 and 1/2 teaspoons. Lowest would probably be half a teaspoon.

1/3 and 2/3. Uh, I'm not the best at explaining so forgive me in advance lol
You can take a 1/3 measuring cup with tank water and measure with that. Then 2/3s would just be two scoops of salt water with that same measuring cup.
What I do it a bit different personally. I labeled the container I use. I've got a picture below if it's of any help at all. Measurement might be a tad off, but I've never had an issue with it.

Drinkware Automotive lighting Cup Plant Window

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1/3 and 2/3. Uh, I'm not the best at explaining so forgive me in advance lol
You can take a 1/3 measuring cup with tank water and measure with that. Then 2/3s would just be two scoops of salt water with that same measuring cup.
What I do it a bit different personally. I labeled the container I use. I've got a picture below if it's of any help at all. Measurement might be a tad off, but I've never had an issue with it.

View attachment 1037658
I'm a bit confused lol.

I would use a shoe box and put in about 1 gallon of water in. How much salt should I put in each container?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ohh! Miscommunication and misreading on my end, apologies friend!

Okay, so.
For the shoebox, I know since you were worried, you can start out with a smaller dose. 1 teaspoon for that container.
If you would like to do a max dose, it'd be 1 tablespoon.

For the second container. What I do is just use one of the betta cups. I fill half of it with the already mixed salt water from the larger container, then put it in my second. I then do a full Betta cup, and another half of it of tank water and put it in my second container.

I'm not sure how big your second container is, so you may have to do a bit of a different measuring way than I do.
I hope this is somewhat less confusing?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts