Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi please help! I feel like a failure and feel so badly for my fish. Any advice is appreciated. Photos of before and after.

Housing: tank with light

How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons

Does it have a filter? Yes low flow

Does it have a heater? Yes

What temperature is your tank? around 79-80

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:

What food brand do you use? Not sure blood worm brand - from outsmart. Pellets are Kyorin

Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets/blood worms

Freeze-dried? See above

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Every other day alternating 3 pellets or 1-2 bloodworms
Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every couple weeks

What percentage of water did you change? 50%

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I’ve done both. Now I vacuum substrate and have changed to 20-25% water changes

What additives do you use? Top fin water conditioner and Stability
Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. My house has a whole house filtration system
Ammonia: wasn’t in my test not sure added other results below. I’ll try to get another test tomorrow

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

pH: 8-9

Hardness (GH): 250

Alkalinity (KH): 120-180
Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? 6 weeks ago??

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Tail much smaller and has cotton-y white growth on ends of shredded tail. Hard to tell everything since he is white.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Seems about the same

Is your Betta still eating? Yes

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I have done 2 different treatments. 1. API EM Erythromycin- 2 full treatment rounds 2. API bettafix - finished one bottle about 6 days of treatment

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No he was healthy before right when I got him

How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? 2-3 months. Purchased from petsmart
Cone Ice cream cone Soft Serve Ice Creams Toy Glass

Textile Wood Hood Tints and shades Glass

Grey Feather Shade Wood Rectangle

Wood Twig Natural material Tints and shades Visual arts

Wood Plant Tints and shades Cross Twig
Feather Wood Grey Sleeve Wing

Feather Grey Parrot Beak Bird

Tail Pest Wing Flooring Claw

Grey Feather Natural material Tints and shades Wing

Feather Wing Natural material Beak Plant

·
Registered
Pets: 5 dogs, 4 fish tanks, 2 frogs
852 Posts
Hi,I am sorry to hear that your betta boy is unwell.

To start things off, i just want to say that i do not see the cottony white growth. Your betta has fin rot and is Extremely emaciated. You see, with betta fish you should rarely skip days feeding them. I feed my bettas around 4-5 flakes or pellets twice a day. Some people do a little more. you can start by starting to feed him 4 pieces of food once a day, do that once a day for a week maybe a bit more so it doesn't overwhelm his little system. Then if he's doing good with that you can up it to twice a day same process as the week before and then maybe do 2-3 pellets a third time a day until he reaches a healthy weight,

How to tell if your betta fish is a healthy weight: When you look at the top of your betta fish, the top of its head to the end of its body should be almost straight like a bullet, it can slowly thin out a little bit but not much. There should be no identation behind the head to the spine bone. I request a top-view picture of your betta.

If your betta boy doesn't want to eat, try dipping or soaking his food in plain garlic juice I would highly recommend you get some frozen food or live for him as it contains the most nutrients and protein, which he's going to need ASAP. Feed as much as he wants after he's a healthy weight, or just enough to make his belly bulge a little.

FOR THE FINROT: Start
doing water changes twice a week. If you can get them in-store or even online, please get him some "Indian Almond Leaves " also known as IAL's. THis will also help heal his fins. You will probably see some clear or white regrowth on his fins, which is good. You can do aquarium salt baths but you might wanna click HERE before doing it. ( THE "HERE" is a link on how to do it) i recommend level 2 to start as the fin rot is quite nasty. Good luck on your baby boy,

·
Registered
2 bettas (MOON) (TANK) 3 mollies 1 african dwarf frog 2 dogs 2 cats 2 leopard geckos
903 Posts
Oh and bettta's water should be changed every week and I feed my smaller betta 6 pellets and my larger betta 10-12 please don't call yourself a failure you rescued this betta and are now helping him

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
As mentioned above your betta is emaciated. I do see what looks like a cottony white spot in one picture, it looks like a fungus but I cannot be sure. When fish are weak and malnourished they are far more susceptible to disease and have a hard time fighting it off. If he were mine I would start feeding him 3 times per day, 3-4 pellets to start with and work your way up to 6. I would also get some frozen (not freeze dried) bloodworms to give him at one of those feedings every day.
For the fungus issue, I would do as recommended and get the indian almond leaf and up the water changes to twice per week but I would also add some aquarium salt to the tank. Dissolve 1 tbsp per gallon in some water before adding to the tank, replace only the amount you remove when doing water changes. Leave in for no more than 10 days. I do not believe he could handle any more meds at this point.

·
Registered
Azrael (Platinum Halfmoon Betta), Uriel (King HMPK Marble Betta), 4 Boas, & 2 Tarantulas
286 Posts
Yeah I've seen fish waaaaaay fatter and it's not called obese
Azrael is a little on the thin side no matter now much I feed him. Especially in the early morning he’ll only eat 2-3 pellets and refuse the rest, but in the afternoon to evening he’ll eat more. Uriel will eat at anytime & eat everything you give him. Uriel is shaped as “ideal” in the pic. Azrael is between thin and ideal. I thought it was a good reference to what is considered emaciated and thin. I think Ideal and overweight in the picture seem normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thank you so much for all the detailed information from everyone!!! I will up his food immediately, but slowly. I find it very interesting about the feeding because I have had multiple people locally (I know pet stores are not the best reference) tell me not to overfeed and they need to feed as if they were in the wild. funny story, when I grew up we always had betta fish. I did my six grade project on if the size of a tank affected how much a betta ate. I fed those fish so much and didn’t think twice so I found it odd when people were telling me I was over feeding at the beginning. Anyways, I will look up the medicine and do another water change today. I will also go get some aquarium salt. I feel so bad for this guy but hopefully I can get him on the mend soon! Thanks again! I’ll be back if I have more questions.

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
There is so much misinformation on the internet about how much to feed betta. When I came to this forum I actually second guessed how much I was feeding my bettas because of all the misinformation, even though I have kept betta most of my life. Overfeeding bettas really refers to feeding all at once. If you feed them a proper amount, far enough apart that they can digest it (about 4 hrs) you can feed quite often. Underfeeding bettas is in the top 3 most common issues we see on this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The pinky castle in the background looks nice, but for betta you should NEVER put any artificial man-made ornaments in their tank, especially if that ornament are full of bright and shiny color. This includes those colourful pebble. Those coloring chemicals will kill your fish quietly without you knowing. Betta comes from rice field with very shallow water. And they only live in tannin waters ( black water ). I have seen and read so so many post here about betta getting sick and died. If you want to keep a healthy and happy betta fish for a long time, just provide them with the environment which they are habitat to. If not,

·
Registered
Pets: 5 dogs, 4 fish tanks, 2 frogs
852 Posts
The pinky castle in the background looks nice, but for betta you should NEVER put any artificial man-made ornaments in their tank, especially if that ornament are full of bright and shiny color. This includes those colourful pebble. Those coloring chemicals will kill your fish quietly without you knowing. Betta comes from rice field with very shallow water. And they only live in tannin waters ( black water ). I have seen and read so so many post here about betta getting sick and died. If you want to keep a healthy and happy betta fish for a long time, just provide them with the environment which they are habitat to. If not,
This is untrue for the substrate area of it.

Reactions: Betta Nerd

·
Registered
2 bettas (MOON) (TANK) 3 mollies 1 african dwarf frog 2 dogs 2 cats 2 leopard geckos
903 Posts
Agreed now what substrate do you use I know you didn't go to their homes and sanitize the rocks now for the castle if the product was made for fish and it had good reviews than it should be fine I have used many ships and houses and rocks throughout the years and never had a problem so I respectfully disagree

1 - 15 of 15 Posts