Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my fish Donny, is in a new bigger home and I wanna keep this his home.. but this is what keeps happening and I dont know what to do...
please I need help.
I added a sponge on the intake and then more sponge in the filter slot and it still has a current.

Anything...please,
right now I turned off the filter until I can figure this out.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Your best case is to replace your filter with a sponge filter, sponge filters don't have as strong of a current if you do get a sponge filter keep your filters old media cartridge and put it around the sponge filter, so that way you won't restart the nitrogen cycle

You'll need a check valve, airline tubing, air pump & the sponge filter

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your best case is to replace your filter with a sponge filter, sponge filters don't have as strong of a current if you do get a sponge filter keep your filters old media cartridge and put it around the sponge filter, so that way you won't restart the nitrogen cycle

You'll need a check valve, airline tubing, air pump & the sponge filter
I tried to buy a different filter but because of how thick the perimeter is on this tank, it wouldn't fit...so in the filter place, I placed in some sponge to make the current stop but it isnt working.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When we did it, it was surprisingly dull and we never had any issues. She did have a different tank than you, though.
I have two of those 2.5gs, and had a lot of trouble with those filters. I discovered that there's a "just right" water level that will greatly decrease the flow.

In the end, I just bought a corner sponge filter. There's more room and it doesn't disturb them.
Baffling it would be cheaper, but here's what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FM6HW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YJ4N6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002563MW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit:
Just shove the filter in the corner, and you know how those lids have a slot for the light's cord? The airline tubing fits fine through that.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When we did it, it was surprisingly dull and we never had any issues. She did have a different tank than you, though.
I have two of those 2.5gs, and had a lot of trouble with those filters. I discovered that there's a "just right" water level that will greatly decrease the flow.

In the end, I just bought a corner sponge filter. There's more room and it doesn't disturb them.
Baffling it would be cheaper, but here's what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FM6HW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YJ4N6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002563MW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So where did you attack this corner sponge filter? And what is the "just right" water level? I currently have it where the white touch the tank line(if that makes sense).

I have tested this tank before and I really like this tank for my 1st fish Atlas but he got so stressed out from the current I had to return him to his 1.5 gallon tank that he is now fine in. So I got this little guy and decided to try this tank again, he is better than the 1st fish but he still getting pushed; last night I left it on all night to see how the fish was, he was fine when i checked him in the morning and when i came back but seeing him being flung like a ping pong ball, it breaks my heart so I turned it off.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Cant the water bottle cut the bettas fin?
I have a water bottle baffle on all 3 of my 2.5 gal tanks and have had no issues with fins being cut. I am careful to cut and prevent having any sharp edges. You can take a look at my album marked as such to see pics of it.

Beautiful set up in the tank by the way!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a water bottle baffle on all 3 of my 2.5 gal tanks and have had no issues with fins being cut. I am careful to cut and prevent having any sharp edges.
How big is your water baffle?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ha, one of my boys is named Atlas. The one in my avatar.
Yea, I understand what you mean about the water level. If you lower it right below where the outflow comes from, it changes the current. I haven't used the filter in a while, so I don't remember the exact point, but if you lower it, it won't push straight ahead anymore. It will instead start pointing downward and you can use a tall plant to stop it from causing problems.

I tucked both of my corner filters in the back right corners. The sit on the bottom, not attach to the lid, and you can push some gravel up around the base to help keep it from moving. But you'll have to adjust it so that the bubbles aren't too disruptive on the surface. I poked holes in the airline tubing to slow the air flow down.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Basically I take a regular sized water bottle and just use the lower 2 1/2 inches.
Then I cup it around the area the filter water comes out

I have 2.5 gallon Mini Bow's.
The filter comes with the tank.
I also put a fluval pre-sponge on the stem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
And if you get a corner/sponge filter, you can just take the filter off that the tank came with and have more space.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha, one of my boys is named Atlas. The one in my avatar.
Yea, I understand what you mean about the water level. If you lower it right below where the outflow comes from, it changes the current. I haven't used the filter in a while, so I don't remember the exact point, but if you lower it, it won't push straight ahead anymore. It will instead start pointing downward and you can use a tall plant to stop it from causing problems.

I tucked both of my corner filters in the back right corners. The sit on the bottom, not attach to the lid, and you can push some gravel up around the base to help keep it from moving. But you'll have to adjust it so that the bubbles aren't too disruptive on the surface. I poked holes in the airline tubing to slow the air flow down.
Can I see how you have set yours up?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Basically I take a regular sized water bottle and just use the lower 2 1/2 inches.
Then I cup it around the area the filter water comes out

I have 2.5 gallon Mini Bow's.
The filter comes with the tank.
I also put a fluval pre-sponge on the stem.
See as in the video, I placed a sponge on the stem as well; does it matter if the sponge is thick or thin to be placed on the stem?

·
Registered
242 Posts
See the black thing beside the heater? That's the corner filter. When you first put it in, it makes waaaay too many bubbles cause it's too strong. But once you reduce that, it adds the perfect amount of surface movement.

(Excuse the bare tank. Alabaster threw a tantrum and killed his plants, so I have to buy him a bunch of silk plants.)

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
See the black thing beside the heater? That's the corner filter. When you first put it in, it makes waaaay too many bubbles cause it's too strong. But once you reduce that, it adds the perfect amount of surface movement.

(Excuse the bare tank. Alabaster threw a tantrum and killed his plants, so I have to buy him a bunch of silk plants.)
And this filter itself does a good job with filtering for this tank?

So the link you posted, it comes with the airlining tube?

How many holes did you poke in the airline tubing?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Also, yes, the water level I generally have is just about to the area where the water comes out, it does decrease the movement to have it this high.
My rose petal tail betta gets thrown around if I dont have the baffle or the higher water level.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also, yes, the water level I generally have is just about to the area where the water comes out, it does decrease the movement to have it this high.
My rose petal tail betta gets thrown around if I dont have the baffle or the higher water level.
Can I see how low your water level is?

·
Registered
667 Posts
It is just about high enough to almost touch the water coming out of the filter into the tank.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts