Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted to buy my own water test kit, but whenever I go to the store I am so confused on what brand or type of kit to buy. There are strip kits, liquid kits, really expensive brands and cheap. I don't mind paying for a brand if they are reliable, I just don't want to waste my money.
What brands and types do members here use? Which type is best? easiest? most reliable?
I appreciate all input.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
API master kit. Its one of the better brands. Strips are not as accurate so you want the liquid type.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Agreed. API master kit. Strips are basically junk.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
API =D I have it! liquid test kit, comes with everything you need including the cards to determine the number. Simple to use :) Because of heat, moisture, and a bunch of other factors strip tests can be off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to see that everyone seems to agree on API. Just as an FYI my first test kit was Hagen's (Nutrafin) and I have been a strong enemy of their kits since using it. Testing for Nitrites and Nitrates takes either 2 or three bottles with an equal amount of drops from each... and the bottles are not even the same size, which means you always run out of one bottle before the other! Tell me what is the use? I've been buying API since and I like that it's straight and simple: one bottle. Bingo!

Now I like a lot of the stuff Hagen makes: they have nice tanks and very good filters on the market but I cannot tell enough people to stay away from their test kits. They are evil!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I have to agree with API, that's what we use as well on the tropical tanks and the Bettas. I have Ammonia, pH, Nitrite and Nitrate. I only buy the seperate kits because you can't get the API Master Kit here, only the Nutrafin kit which is like $129.99 plus 15% tax o_O But if you can get the API Master kit, go for it!

Hawk! Thank you for posting about the Nutrafin! We only have that here because we only have Pets Unlimited (PJ's Pets) and they only carry mostly Hagen products. Main reason why I can't get anything for my Bettas here and have to order online lol

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I was lucky to come across an API kit!! =D but yes, for some places you'll need to get the individual ones - which is fine :) I found out my tap water without conditioner is .50 o.o

·
Registered
562 Posts
I got the separate API kits because I did know about the master kit. It's about $35 where I live but it does save you a few bucks since it contains pH, Ammonia, NitrATE, and NitrITE tests. There are also Copper, Potassium, and phosphate (i think ^_^;) tests as well. But I think those aren't neccessary unless you think one of those metals are leeching into your water.

I used to use strips back in the day. I stopped when I realized the strips should be all zero for week old water in my 1 gallon. then I figured they may be old and brought a new bottle of the strips. After 2 weeks of results that didn't make sence, I changed to liquid test and never loked back. So, I'm suggesting liquid tests based on my experiences with both types. :)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
My kit doesn't include the copper/potassium/phosphate tests... are those just extras? I wouldn't mind getting them :lol: never know, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes they are extras most of the time. Ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are usually the ones that come in a master kit. Most stores only carry the four main ones so the extras are standalone ones and are usually found online mostly from my own experience.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
hmmm cool :) lol nice to see everyone likes API..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well by popular vote I am going to get API! Either the master kit or seperate kits - and NOT the strips.
Thanks everyone!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally got out and bought the API ammonia kit. (all three tanks are good!) The Master kit was $36. I saw a kit for PH, but I didn't see the ones for Nitrite and Nitrate. I am thinking maybe just getting the master kit, or are there extra tests I really don't need in there (high range Ph)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts