Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 6 fish now I only have 4. 2 of them died, 1 Was a female platy and another was a female betta. Now I only have 4 female bettas left. I've treated them with jungle fungus clear (Methylene blue) in the past for like 14 days because they had fin rot. After that I removed the entire water with new water and added tetra safestart to re-cycle my aquarium. This was when I bought 1 platy and another female betta and didn't quarantine them. But I never saw any aggression between them so fin nipping wasn't possible, yet they were very active. The next 3 days they showed fin rot again so i treated them with 2 tsp of salt per 2 gallons in a 2 gallon tank. The fin rot got away in 5 days. Then I noticed they had gotten velvet, so I purchased one on amazon from a third party selller "JustaboveCost"
Item(s) Subtotal: $2.53
Shipping & Handling: $3.00
I treated them with this since September 18, 2014 and no signs of healing have shown, and the temperature was at 81-82. On the third day of treating them I doubled the dose so I used 2ml per 2 gallons. Still 4 days ago my female betta died then 2 days ago my platy. I then moved them to a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter 2 days ago and they seem to be more active but they still have the velvet. 5 Days ago I added jungle aq salt at a ratio of 1/2 tsp to 2 gallons. In the new 2.5 gallon tank I did not use any dechlorinator because I though that was messing up the malachite green but 5 days I ago I've waited 30 mins before adding the malachite green and salt. My dechlorinator is currently aqueon water conditioner. Oddly enough, every day the malachite green "disappears" because there is no tint of green or blue whatsoever. I did keep the bettas in total darkness all this time since September 18, 2014. And, could the malachite green possible be outdated? I cannot find anything on the bottle regarding the expiration date. However, the bottle I received was a design than has red a triangle with "fish disease control". The bottle looks exactly like this:

And it does NOT look like this other bottle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The only "legible writing" giving a clue to the expiration date is:
LOT# 07151301
BEST BY 07/201
and then the last number might be 3, 6 or 8.
I'm also thinking of using a new medication like Kordon Rid Ich Plus, Furan 2 by API or Tetra Fungus Guard/Lifeguard.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Can you post a photo of your fish with velvet?

Velvet actually isn't a shiny gold color like many thing. It is more of grey gold matte dust.

Click "go advanced"
click the paper clip icon
follow the instructions in the pop up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's practically impossible to take a picture because they move so fast and you can only see it at some angles. But the "gold dust" is mostly between the "spines" on the fins. They look like streaks, and on one of them there's blotches on the scales about 8-10 blotches but the streaks have been reduced. And on another one they're between the scales. The streaks look exactly like this one but they sometimes look blue and sometimes light yellow, and the blotches look like that blue stuff but more yellower on the scales.

And then the streaks look exactly as this color:

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
That isn't velvet.

this is what velvet looks like. The photo is from Lilnaugrim from the reference team

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The color of the yellowish tint on the fins is exactly what 2 of my bettas have. It is mostly on the beginning of the fins and not the extremity of the fins.

So if it's not velvet, what is it then? I'm still convinced it is velvet though. I will need other people's opinion.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It's probably just natural iridescence. Its very common to think that is velvet. I'll message lil and ask that she takes a look at this thread as well.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I am in agreeance with Vivian, what you are seeing is the natural iridescence. Velvet is one color and stays that color; a matte yellow-ish color. If you are seeing it change colors depending on light, like you say, then that is iridescence. Our fish tend to have a buildup of irid right at the beginning of the fins on the body like you see on that blue fish where you see the heavy yellow, that's all irid.

However, I'd still like you to grab some pictures of the females at least. You can cup one of them and then set her on a dark surface with good overhead lighting to capture some pictures that way. And if you feed her while you take pictures, you can get better pictures as she'll stay still for a few moments at least.

A note on your attempt to recycle your aquarium, the good bacteria that we want actually don't live in the water column so by removing the water, you are not actually destroying your cycle as the good bacteria (beneficial bacteria or a.k.a. BB) live on surfaces primarily in the filter but also all over everything in the tank. The only ways you could destroy your cycle are by letting everything thoroughly dry out or by using some medication that could destroy it but that's only if you NEED to use the med to medicate your fish; not for the purpose of destroying your cycle.

Honestly, it's not going to help you to recycle your aquarium at this point, you want as stable of a structure as you can build which means, keeping your cycle going to keep ammonia and nitrite at zero so it does stress out your fish further. Does this all make sense? I can certainly elaborate if you need me to ^_^

And as far as aggression, just because you don't see it doesn't mean that it is impossible for it to happen. I doubt they had fin rot but were actually biting each others tails when you weren't looking. Just like a "watched pot does not boil", fish rarely do their entirely daily routine in front of you unless you literally sit there 24/7 to watch them, which if you do then that's fine but I do doubt that you do ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts