Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my male betta a bit more than a week ago, and i bought him because i wanted to give him a better life, since he was just sitting in the corner of his giant tank overcrowded with schooling fish at the petstore. He looked sad, his tail was scruffy and short, and his colors were completely erased except for a few spots of shining scales. However; he is still like this. He has an appetite, and i feed him frozen bloodworms and tiny tetra "pellets" and he does eat them, but i always have to make sure that he sees the pellet, or it'll just be left on the sand.

Then i started noticing a fur-ish looking tiny dot on his tail, fungus. I also saw some trails of ich/ick. I put some Aqua salts in his 11gallon tank(with a filter) and hoped for the best. I was happy to see that the next day it was gone.

But this isnt all. A few days ago, i started thinking about how he cats and his behaviour. Now were getting to the problem: he makes these skittish turns as if hes trying to reach his tail or side by flinging his head quickly towards his body. His tail hasnt been growing, and neither has his colors come back. He also drags his body quickly alongside the glass, or the plant(real plant) as if hes itching.(he doesnt have any dusty coat around him) it also looks like hes shivering sometimes when hes standing still but not resting, and i dont know ifcthis is a normal behaviour. He sleeps alot too.
P.S i havent decided whether he is a veil tail or crowntail yet because of the short tail(i know he is a male) but i think he might be a veiltail.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Is he skinny? If you look above, does he look like a tadpole, or a fish lol?
The flashing (itching) is indicative of either parasites or ammonia burns. Since he was in a community tank previously, I would go ahead and treat for parasites... Can you get ahold of some API General Cure?
The fungus on his tail should clear as his immune system gets back in shape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is he skinny? If you look above, does he look like a tadpole, or a fish lol?
The flashing (itching) is indicative of either parasites or ammonia burns. Since he was in a community tank previously, I would go ahead and treat for parasites... Can you get ahold of some API General Cure?
The fungus on his tail should clear as his immune system gets back in shape.
Hes not skinny, hes quite big actually, so he does look like a fish yes lol
I might be able to get something for parasites, but it might not be API general cure :/ i live in Norway, and we done have the greatest things... :-?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Water quality can be another reason for weird swimming. Have you tested your water for Ammonia? Nitrite? Is your tank filtered and cycled? is it a new set up?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts