Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of alge eater should work with female bettas in a 5 gallon

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A snail. Or some shrimps.

Nerite snail I suggest, doesn't grow too big and isn't able to reproduce in freshwater. Or some shrimps, depends though, shrimps usually end up as snacks, so test with Ghost (Feeder) shrimps first to see if your Betta is a nice girl. You can't have any fish algae eaters in a 5g, it wouldn't be able to handle the bioload, and the footprint isn't big enough for them.

Remember, algae eaters only eat certain types of algae, so all of your algae won't magically disappear.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read zebra snails are good should I buy some if so how many I have small betta girls in a five gallon all together they get along great with each other I due have a back up tank just in case but opinion would help

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I read zebra snails are good should I buy some if so how many I have small betta girls in a five gallon all together they get along great with each other I due have a back up tank just in case but opinion would help
One snail always. If there's more than one they run out of algae really fast, even with one snail you'll still run out of algae. So just pick up some algae wafers to feed him after all the algae is gone in your tank.

Also you have more than one Betta in a 5g? I wouldn't recommend that. .

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The tank may not be able to cope with the bio-load of more than one girlie with a snail in a 5 gallon. It's usually recommended to have sororities in 10 gallons + to spread out the aggression.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I'm trying to get ahold of a 10th gallon tank for my girls but I'm tight on money as it is

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Opps I mean 10

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Okay I'm trying to get ahold of a 10th gallon tank for my girls but I'm tight on money as it is
They may not seem aggressive now but, you should never house two Bettas together (there are some exceptions to this, but I won't go into that).

With a 10g I think you'll be able to house 5 ~ 7 female Bettas and make a sorority. Or divide both sides and each girl gets 5g, I'm guessing you only have two right?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
In the OP's signature it says he or she has 8 females.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts