Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I am new here. So I'm trying to understand what is happening with my pretty boy's fins. (No name settled on yet.) I got him from PetCo about a month ago.

Please see photos for his progression from the time I got him to today. (Water looks bad in last photo, please ignore!)

Is it fin rot? :frown2: I'm sad because I thought I was good about water changes and water quality. If not fin rot, what else?

Snail photo added just for fun. :smile2:

Thank you so much!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 Gallons, cycled
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Just the motion the filter causes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Big fat mystery snail ("Otis")

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes currently
Freeze-dried? As a treat
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day, as much as he can eat in 2-3 minutes

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? About every 5 days
What percentage of water did you change? About 30%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum always
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH): About 300
Alkalinity (KH): About 80

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Recently
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? See photos
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Has not
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased ? No

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
Welcome to the forum! He's a gorgeous looking boy, congratulations on getting him.

The good news is that does not look like fin rot. What it looks like is that he's either biting his fins, or he's ripping them on something in the tank. Of the two I really hope that it's the latter because sometimes betta can become chronic bitters and don't stop.

Check all of the tanks decorations and make sure that they are not rough and do not have any sharp parts. When you check them make sure to check the inside of any decorations that he can swim through. File down any sharp parts. You can drag pantyhose over decorations to check that they are safe for his fins, if the hose snags then so can his fins.

You can add Seachem StressGuard and Indian Almond Leaves to his water to help his fins heal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheew... thank you!!

I went into his tank and took some scissors to some sort of pointy plastic pieces that were on his silk plants. I wish now I had just went with real plants. I'm ordering some StressGuard too.

I've never seen him bite his tail. :frown2: I hadn't even realized bettas do that. But then again I've never seen him build a bubble nest too but he does.

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
Wheew... thank you!!

I went into his tank and took some scissors to some sort of pointy plastic pieces that were on his silk plants. I wish now I had just went with real plants. I'm ordering some StressGuard too.

I've never seen him bite his tail. :frown2: I hadn't even realized bettas do that. But then again I've never seen him build a bubble nest too but he does.

I wasn't sure if I was remembering right about one of those silk plants I noticed in his tank having a pointy white piece in the middle, or not, or I would have mentioned it. Was the culprit the one with the purple edged leaves?

LOL my boy Bruiser, for the longest time, was a chronic fin bitter and in all the months that he trimmed his fin I never once caught him at it. I do see him build his bubble nest but that's only because his tank is right beside his tank and he builds it on the side of that tank that's closest to the couch. I've yet to film him building it, as soon as he sees me with the camera he stops building.

·
Super Moderator
2,399 Posts
Wheew... thank you!!

You'll probably never see him biting his fins and if you catch him building a bubble nest, it is very mesmerizing with long finned bettas.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't sure if I was remembering right about one of those silk plants I noticed in his tank having a pointy white piece in the middle, or not, or I would have mentioned it. Was the culprit the one with the purple edged leaves?

No, it was one of my older silk plants. (Don't even remember where it got it.)

I was fasting him for a day because I heard that is good for them. To my dismay the next day he had another, larger tear/rip!! :crying::crying: I'm going to add pellets and feed him a bit more in case that was a culprit for tail biting. I sure hope he heals up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts