Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi =)

I live in a top floor apt and lately ( for once) we are getting good weather. I don't have an air conditioner, so it can get pretty toasty in my apartment. I have two 5 gallon tanks and on hot days, the water temp seems to get a little bit outside their comfort zone 80-85 ish degrees.

I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to keep it comfortable for them? I have them out of sunlight and kind of in the cooler area of the house.
I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but they do both have filters running.

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I set up a drip system with a few cubes of ice suspended in mesh over the tank. as the ice melts, the cold water drips into the tank slowly enough to not harm my fish, while still cooling the tank.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
80-85 degrees is fine. This won't kill them. Most of my tanks are 80-82 degrees. However if the temp jumps around quickly, this can be a bad thing. Do the tanks have adjustable heaters? If so, what are they set to? You can try cracking the lids because it will keep the tanks cooler, but I would really try to find a way to cool the area, like with a fan or a small air conditioner.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah, I only used the system I described when a heater malfunctioned while I was at school and brought the temp up close to 100* (Fahrenheit, thank goodness) It was a bit of a scare, but my girl is doing fine and the heater is in the trash.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts