Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've had a 5 gallon heated, filtered tank running for a few months now but didn't put a fish in it until 3 days ago. Prior to adding the betta I didn't really do anything to the water other than add a bit of Prime when I would replace any evaporated water. I tested the water a few hours ago and these were the results:

Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Ammonia: I can't tell if it's reading 0 or 0.25 ppm, so I'm going to attach pictures.

If it's .25, is that safe for my fish to be in right now? I read the two-sentence sticky which says to do a water change at .50, so should I leave my water alone?

I posted a thread in the diseases & emergencies forum yesterday because I noticed my betta was acting lethargic and spent a lot of time hiding, and someone suggested doing a 50% water change. I'm not sure what the best steps would be to do right now so any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
I downloaded the image. Stuck it in Photoshop, rotated it and zoomed in and I could barely find a tint of green in your ammonia reading lol. I think you're barely at the .25 threshold to be honest, for sure under that.

Seems to me your Betta is just getting use to his home, I personally wouldn't do a 50% water change, it will just stress him out. I know lethargy is common when they are sick. But from experience all my Bettas are all lethargic after i put them in larger tanks. Many of them are coming from smaller spaces and really need time to adapt and enjoy the new environment. Unless you start seeing other symptoms like bumpy skin, flakes, ik ect.

I think your tank could very well be cycled after a few months if you did it correctly and threw some fish food or ammonia source in there through out the waiting period. Prime should keep your fish safe as well. I would wait 1 week before I start worrying about your boy.

Is he eating?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I downloaded the image. Stuck it in Photoshop, rotated it and zoomed in and I could barely find a tint of green in your ammonia reading lol. I think you're barely at the .25 threshold to be honest, for sure under that.

Seems to me your Betta is just getting use to his home, I personally wouldn't do a 50% water change, it will just stress him out. I know lethargy is common when they are sick. But from experience all my Bettas are all lethargic after i put them in larger tanks. Many of them are coming from smaller spaces and really need time to adapt and enjoy the new environment. Unless you start seeing other symptoms like bumpy skin, flakes, ik ect.

I think your tank could very well be cycled after a few months if you did it correctly and threw some fish food or ammonia source in there through out the waiting period. Prime should keep your fish safe as well. I would wait 1 week before I start worrying about your boy.

Is he eating?
Here's another picture if it helps! And yes he's eating :) I have a feeling he's okay but it makes me concerned when I see him laying on his side and resting against the filter intake =/ he's swimming around right now though so I think that's a good sign.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the ammonia test tube compared to the nitrate one which was very yellow.. They look similar in color but I feel like there is a difference so that's why I was concerned about whether ammonia was detected =\ (the ammonia one is on the left/ bottom)

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah you're good. I can see slight green tint (photoshop histogram lol) but nothing to be worried about its def under .10PPM Prime will keep him safe if there's any spikes. But I honestly think you are ok.

Check and see if your filter is giving of to much flow. Sometimes my bettas would hide behind the filter because it was the only spot that had a calm current.

Keep him well fed and wait a week or two. Your water is fine IMO

·
Reference Team
7,707 Posts
Very helpful reply by Alec.

I agree: your water looks fine. It looks like you're even showing a little nitrate. That indicates that your cycle is doing fine.

Sometime the API kit will show a little green even when there is no ammonia. If it concerns you, add a few drops of Prime every day as Alec suggests.

Try using the high range pH test. See if there's any difference in the pH reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts