Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? API Betta Food
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day, about 6 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once every 3-4 weeks
What percentage of water did you change? 25-50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Just dip- I don't have a vacuum at work
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? I use Prime with each water change.

Water Parameters:
Unknown. I do not have a test kit here. I can bring my home kit tomorrow.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2-3 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Fin melt, more blue/less white, intermittent bumps on body that start bright red and turn white/shrink over time
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No change
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No, because I'm not sure what this is
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 9 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Minor fin rot from the cup, but nothing else

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
That's fin rot or it may be fin melt by now and it's fixin to reach his body which is when it becomes really bad.

To start with you need to do more frequent water changes, until he's better you should be doing 2 25% water changes a week making sure to vacuum the substrate. by not vacuuming all the nasty stuff accumulates at the bottom of the tank and can cause problems with their health and the water quality. Once he's better you can reduce the water changes to one 25% change a week vacuuming the substrate when you do the water change. If you don't want to use a gravel vac, you can do what I do and use an airline hose as a vacuum. The reason for the more frequent water changes now is to reduce the amount of bacteria in his water.

Besides the water changes I'd add some Indian Almond Leaves to his water, and some StressGuard, both will help fight infection but at this point you also need an antibiotic. I've used Kanaplex to treat advanced fin rot and it worked well, so it's what I tend to recommend. Follow the dosing instructions on the bottle, and if you use it follow the water change schedule that it'll recommend while treating him. If you use carbon in your filter make sure to remove it when using the IAL, StressGuard and Kanaplex, if you don't it will just remove the medicine from the water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts