Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I'm Livia and I'm new to the forum!
I'm a teenager and I've had bettas before. the one I am about to get would be my 5th one and my 7th fish total. I sadly had to get rid of my fish in 2018 because of a moving incident, but I decided recently that I wanted to get a new one pretty badly. Since I've been active in the betta keeping community, a lot has changed. (from what I've seen) it has gone from a minimum of 1 gallon to about 3. I want to get a male dumbo Halfmoon. Is that a good idea? Do different fin types make a difference? Also, I need help to make sure my fish doesn't get sick. My most recent betta sadly died of fin rot & swim bladder issues, and I need to make sure that doesn't happen again. Does anyone have any tank/plant/food recommendations or tips on keeping a new betta? How big of a tank do I need?
(PS, my family would probably freak if I thought of feeding my fish worms, which is understandable.)

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

First, get the biggest tank you can afford or are allowed. If you plan on college and living in a dorm, a five is a pretty safe bet. Make sure to add a lid or glass canopy if you are starting from scratch.

Second, an adjustable heater. The Hydor is one many on the Forum use. A 50 and 25 watt are the same size and only a $ or two apart so I would suggest the 50.

An adjustable filter. I like this one for tanks under 10 gallons.

A nutritious food like NorthFin Betta Bits, New Life Spectrum or Omega One.

SeaChem Prime conditioner

Change 25% to 50% of the water twice per week for six or so weeks unless you have a way to test the water and can follow this tutorial:

A Dumbo is fine. Just make sure any plants you get that aren't live don't have any burrs that can snag his fins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!
Thank you for the response! I don't know what I'm allowed yet, but I'd probably get a 2.5 gallon or a 3.5 gallon. I want to get one from PetSmart as they mistreat their fish & there aren't many people who shop at my local PetSmart, so there'd just be bettas sitting in cups for long periods of time. Since I'm youngish, I doubt my mom will let me spend like 30 dollars on a filter however I want to get something small (again like 2.5-3.5 gallons) so I can afford more supplies for my fish. Can you recommend some ammonia/nitrite test strips that are easy to read? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
By the time you pay for the 5-in-1 test strips and the Ammonia test strips you've spent about the same amount as an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. With the test strips you would get around 25 tests; with the kit around 800 or 200 per parameter tested (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH).

PetSmart has a 2.5 gallon I recommend. You will need to rig up some sort of lid. The lids they come with are a real PITA because they are solid and not hinged. Some people use craft mesh they fold to fit and cut holes for heater and filter.

There's free shipping on the above-mentioned filter. I use it with my 2.5 and, when I had them, my 5.5 tanks.

Do you have a PetCo? If you do, their 5.5 tanks are the same price as PetSmart's 2.5 but there are glass canopies to fit those. Betta do jump so a cover is a must.

Sometimes they have kits on sale for cheap. The only kits I found that included a heater were 10 gallons. All the rest would need one so add an additional $25-$30 for a heater. If you can have a 10 gallon, they are a lot easier to keep clean. PetSmart has one that is vertical that looks nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, I'm Livia and I'm new to the forum!
I'm a teenager and I've had bettas before. the one I am about to get would be my 5th one and my 7th fish total. I sadly had to get rid of my fish in 2018 because of a moving incident, but I decided recently that I wanted to get a new one pretty badly. Since I've been active in the betta keeping community, a lot has changed. (from what I've seen) it has gone from a minimum of 1 gallon to about 3. I want to get a male dumbo Halfmoon. Is that a good idea? Do different fin types make a difference? Also, I need help to make sure my fish doesn't get sick. My most recent betta sadly died of fin rot & swim bladder issues, and I need to make sure that doesn't happen again. Does anyone have any tank/plant/food recommendations or tips on keeping a new betta? How big of a tank do I need?
(PS, my family would probably freak if I thought of feeding my fish worms, which is understandable.)
The maximum for a happy betta is 5 gallons. Before you get your betta please make sure everything is ready etc. The water temperature is correct. You need multiple hidy spots for your betta i also recomend gravel for the bottem of your tank. A commen misconception us that a betta do not need filters and heaters, they do! I feed my betta bloodworms and Betta pellets. As ypu stated a earlier betta died of swim bladder and finrot, before you purchase the betta buy fin rot medicine and the same with swimbladder. 2 days before you gset the betta fill up the tank or purchase Quick Start wich allows you to get the betta the same day your tank is ready. Please do not buy a betta eg. Pets smart. The bettas from petsmart are not wel looked after and normally have diseases youll be unware of untill you purchase.

·
Super Moderator
19,836 Posts
FWIW, there have been no actual scientific studies which have established best tank size for Betta be it one or 100. Tank size "requirements" are based on opinions-only; usually by people who anthropomorphize and apply human logic to a fish.

On this Forum we recommend that a 2.5 is the smallest.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m pretty sure petco’s dollar per gallon sale is still going on, if you wanted to go that route. Def. still pricey tho.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
My tip on test strips.. if you cut them down the center you can double the strips LOL. They are already skinny but it can be done. I’m a sponge filter gal myself. They are pretty cheap. The air pump might cost 10-15$ though

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks if you've replied!
My mom and grandma aren't too keen on the idea of a 5 gallon tank, but I've convinced them to let me get a 3.5 gallon tank for the upcoming Holiday. (its not in english fyi lol) but I've already ordered the supplies, and I'll send some pictures if anyone's interested. Thanks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts