Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
You can move him with tank water and then redose with amount of meds appropriate for the tank size when it's time for the next dose.
It requires some calculations, and as much as I would like to see him in a hospital tank without all the extra items, it probably would be best to leave him where he if there's any fear accidentally overdosing him.

Temps that would affect the efficacy of the meds would kill the fish, so no worries about that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You can move him with tank water and then redose with amount of meds appropriate for the tank size when it's time for the next dose.
It requires some calculations, and as much as I would like to see him in a hospital tank without all the extra items, it probably would be best to leave him where he if there's any fear accidentally overdosing him.

Temps that would affect the efficacy of the meds would kill the fish, so no worries about that.
I can get the exact amount, I'll do a tiny bit less if I have to.
Also is it ok to put his floating log from his old tank in the hospital tank and also some almond leaves at the bottom because he goes under them?
Thanks so much for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I got some rare footage of him out of hiding lol. He swam around, ate food, rubbed against the filter and went back under his leaves.
But surprisingly he doesn't look as bad as I thought. I thought his body would be rotted by now but it wasn't. It's just a little darker where his fins meet his body. His fins are destroyed but it doesn't look like it's spreading?

I feel so bad because I've gotten so close to using clove oil when he's laying at the bottom for 2-3 days straight and then I see him like this in the video and he's almost like his old self.

Today is day 3 of his meds, it says to do a 25% water change and dose again so I'm going to do that in the 10 gallon and then move that water to the hospital tank. Then tomorrow he'll get the last dose in the hospital tank(2.5 gallons) , ¹/⁴ of the packet.

He's also not swimming erratically anymore.
Let me know how you think he looks, it really seems he's trying to get passed this, I was so worried about him suffering.

20200831_113459_resize_76.jpg

20200831_113526_resize_45.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Hope he's getting better. I'd try to avoid putting his floating log into his tank if you can as long as you can get another resting place near the surface for him.
The idea of hospital tanks is to minimize the influence of his permanent environment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I put him in the hospital tank last night, I thought he would get really stressed but he was fine and didn't even turn white. He was just swimming around checking it out. I didn't add the log but I don't think I have something to put at the top, somewhere I have his old leaf hammock so I'll look for that. I also added an air stone for the meds. He's just happy with the leaves at the bottom.
What's the best thing I should be feeding him that will help him heal? Frozen food?
One more thing, what am I doing with his main tank? Like how deep do I clean it. I might use this opportunity to switch back to gravel. The sand is hard to clean.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi! About the food, I think that something like New Life Spectrum or Bug Bites would be best, where it has whole meat/fish ingredients at the top of the ingredient list rather than meal or non-meat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
He swam around and ate today but he did do that erratic swimming, it wasn't as bad as before. I got some clear pictures of his body. I'm worried about all the discoloration at the back of his body. Can that even heal? Is it bacterial?
20200901_163146_resize_74.jpg 20200901_163144_resize_63.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
If you mean the black coloration by his dorsal, he might be marbling. Keep an eye on it.
For his food, you can feed frozen if you get a variety, but for pellets, we recommend New Life Spectrum betta, Omega One betta or NorthFin bug bites brands. For Omega One, you can use the small fish formula, but the granules are pretty small.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you mean the black coloration by his dorsal, he might be marbling. Keep an eye on it.
For his food, you can feed frozen if you get a variety, but for pellets, we recommend New Life Spectrum betta, Omega One betta or NorthFin bug bites brands. For Omega One, you can use the small fish formula, but the granules are pretty small.
I think it's definitely from the fin rot though.
Should I clean his whole tank and not worry about killing the cycle since it might not even be cycled since it doesn't get nitrates anyway?
Also, there's a lot more worms than I thought. I think detritus worms? I've seen him eat a couple, could it be harmful to him?
Here's a video of the worms

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I'm thinking to order some aqua soil.

I think there is nitrates but I kept thinking it was 0.
The tank hasn't had a water change in a few days and the ammonia and nitrites are 0 and this is the nitrates. I think it's at 5.0? It's so hard to tell
So it might be cycled after all. My next hundredth question lol is how do I disinfect the tank without messing up the cycle?
20200902_125723_resize_15.jpg 20200902_125739_resize_47.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
I think it's definitely from the fin rot though.
Should I clean his whole tank and not worry about killing the cycle since it might not even be cycled since it doesn't get nitrates anyway?
Also, there's a lot more worms than I thought. I think detritus worms? I've seen him eat a couple, could it be harmful to him?
Here's a video of the worms
Definitely clean the tank. Beneficial bacteria are way more hardy than you think.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't know if anything can be done to make any difference. You are keeping his hospital container filtered?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I don't know if anything can be done to make any difference. You are keeping his hospital container filtered?
There's just a bubble stone and I'm doing 50% wc a day but I can put one in there. I was just worried about it stressing him.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts