Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
You're probably fine the way it is with the water changes, but maybe try it for a bit and see how he reacts? Thinking out loud, I guess the main thing is if the water parameters are ok without it, leave things as they are.
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for you and your buddy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I cleaned the tank and got new sand, it's more coarser so hopefully it'll be easier to clean. I'll probably wait a couple days to put him in just to make sure the parameters are good.
Also, the plants aren't too happy from all the salt and probably meds if they effect them at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Good, let us know. His floating and his anal fin are areas that you want to watch.
He's had floating problems before when I first got him last year. But it was something different. I think it was because we had bad Forrest fires here, the room even smelled like smoke and at the time he was in a bowl (I know:( ) so that made it worse.
So I believe the smoke damaged his labyrinth organ and he like kept gulping air and he would bloat so bad I thought he wasn't going to make it. I put him in the 10 gallon and put the charcoal in the filter and he got better.

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Long term use of the salt can be a problem, but I have found that Furan-2 does not treat live plants well.
I always liked white sand, as long as it's not sugar sand, that makes a hell of a mess.
Can't recall if you have extra aeration in the tank, but it also helps them a lot since they do have gills that they can use, their labyrinth organ is mostly a backup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Long term use of the salt can be a problem, but I have found that Furan-2 does not treat live plants well.
I always liked white sand, as long as it's not sugar sand, that makes a hell of a mess.
Can't recall if you have extra aeration in the tank, but it also helps them a lot since they do have gills that they can use, their labyrinth organ is mostly a backup.
Yeah, I've been using the play sand, way too..... sandy lol. This kind looks much better.
I usually add a air stone just when I'm using meds but I think I'll just always keep it in there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
He's still floating but he's starting to act a little more like his old self :) He woke up at 4pm today lol but he was happy and "wagging" back and forth for food. He's been sleeping a lot so I'm thinking his body is just trying to heal up? I almost think I notice his fins growing back.

It's his back side that floats, how do you know if it's swim bladder disease?
You can see his back side going up in the video, he aslo rubs on stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Is there any reason to be keeping him in the hospital tank since I cleaned the main tank? Or can I just put him back in his main tank?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Are you comfortable with how he is doing currently? Maybe try it and see how he behaves/acts in his main tank?

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Buoyancy issues can be caused by a number of different issues, I've even see it occasionally where they're playing when they do that. With SBD, they usually either bob like a cork or sink like a rock.
You can always put him back in his tank everything is clean. I would recommend leaving him in the hospital tank and letting the new tank run for a couple of days. If you have a test kit, also check the levels to make sure everything is stable.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I really want him to see his "new" tank lol but I also kinda like him in the smaller one while he's not 100%
I added a snail to his main tank that's been with the quarantined plants, I swear that snail poops more in a day than Mario does in 3 days haha but he cleaned all the algae off the anubias leaves!
Anyone know what this little bug is? I saw him while videoing the snail. I thought it was a baby snail but it looks like it has legs.

20200908_084503_resize_23.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I think he has some new holes on his bottom fin but other than that he's doing good. He's also not floating anymore. The video is from yesterday, you can notice a white spot(not fuzzy) on his back tail and I think on his dorsal fin but today they were not there.
He's still in the hospital tank and I also put some aquarium salt in just in case.
Not sure if I should put him back in the 10 gallon yet which I got a lot of new plants for.
Either way, he's been real happy the last couple days:)

View attachment 1021586
View attachment 1021587

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,592 Posts
Glad he's doing better.
If you have a test kit, you can test the parameters in his new tank to see if it's stable and put him back in.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Sorry to bother you guys again but I just put him back in his 10 gallon and I'm noticing more now because the light is brighter but he has more noticeable white stuff on him, it's raised so it's not his coloration. If you zoom in on it you can see it clearly. Is it ich? Also I don't know if it's "stringy" but he has white poo looking stuff hanging on him.
I'm thinking to put him back in the hospital tank and try a medication.
20200914_210102_resize_14.jpg

41 - 60 of 71 Posts