Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I’m in the process of setting up my tank to get my first Betta! I’ve never owned a fish before, and didn’t realise how complex this all is, so thought I’d reach out for help here.

This is kind of a 2 part question - question #1 is, what are some of the best plants to put in my tank with a Betta, and are there any plants I should stay away from?

Question #2 is, I’ve read a lot of varying opinions on tank mates for a male Betta, and was wondering if there are any fish that would suit being a tank mate in a 5 gallon, or if I would need to wait until I get a bigger tank? I have a HOB filter suited for up to 25 gallons to factor in for more than just one fish and also eventually upgrading to a bigger tank.

If anyone has any advice for a first time Betta owner, I’d really appreciate it as well - I want to make sure I know as much as there is to know before getting my fish!!

·
Super Moderator
22,126 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Other than a snail there really isn't much you can add to a five gallon with a Betta. You can have shrimp but only after the tank has matured (three months or so).

Good plants:

Anubias are almost kill proof. They have a rhizome where the leaves emerge; that must never be planted or it could rot. To be safe, you can either let them float, tie or glue to decor or weight them down. They are slow-growers.

Hornwort is a good floating stem plant. They do not develop viable roots so either let float or weight down; do not plant. They are fast-growers so help prevent algae.

Other good stem plants are Water Sprite, Anacharis, Cabomba.

Here is a site that should help. I realize you can't buy from them but they have excellent profiles and give whether a plant is Easy, Medium or Difficult. Pay attention to the "Low Tech" plants. Those are deemed easy for beginner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Other than a snail there really isn't much you can add to a five gallon with a Betta. You can have shrimp but only after the tank has matured (three months or so).

Good plants:

Anubias are almost kill proof. They have a rhizome where the leaves emerge; that must never be planted or it could rot. To be safe, you can either let them float, tie or glue to decor or weight them down. They are slow-growers.

Hornwort is a good floating stem plant. They do not develop viable roots so either let float or weight down; do not plant. They are fast-growers so help prevent algae.

Other good stem plants are Water Sprite, Anacharis, Cabomba.

Here is a site that should help. I realize you can't buy from them but they have excellent profiles and give whether a plant is Easy, Medium or Difficult. Pay attention to the "Low Tech" plants. Those are deemed easy for beginner.
Thanks so much! I’ll definitely jump on that website and give it a look through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts