Betta Fish Forum banner
1K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  FishWhisperer 
#1 ·
I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and would love to put a betta in. It held a mushroom coral and nearly a clown loach and comet goldfish. Thanks:-D
Does not own any fish:(

#2 ·
A 2.5 gallon would be a decent home for a betta. The Introduction to Betta Care guide will get you started on the right track. However, you should not put a comet goldfish or a clown loach in there as they get VERY big.

Does the tank still have the mushroom coral? Is the coral an artificial decoration or a real live coral? Your betta is a freshwater fish, and he will be most happy with clean low-flow warm water around 76-82 Fahrenheit. You may have to "baffle" the filter if it is too strong for your betta and blows him around the tank! Baffling is when you reduce the flow on a filter by putting something, usually a filter sponge, in front of the filter's water intake or outtake (where the water goes in the filter or out of the filter).

#6 ·
The reason that they died was probably overstocking. Unfortunately, there is a lot of deception about fish care out there, that ends in a lot of losses :(

Before you get a betta, you should read about the nitrogen cycle and do a fishless cycle on your tank. Basically, all fish poop, which creates ammonia, which kills fish. This is what probably killed the goldfish and loach. In order to keep out friends safe, we have to establish a "cycle" in the tank, which turns the ammonia into nitrIte via bacteria, which also kills fish, so another bacteria builds to turn the nitrIte into nitrAte. NitrAte kills fish at high levels, so weekly water changes keep the levels down.

Doing this cycle with fish in the tank sometimes harms them, so I think it's best to do a fishless cycle. You could buy some Pure or Clear ammonia at a hardware store. Make sure that the only ingredients are water and ammonia. Surfactants will kill fish. You can dose this in the tank to establish the cycle. There are some wonderful guides on the internet about how to do this well.

You may also want to invest in a liquid test kit. API makes a great one. This will allow you to monitor the levels off ammonia, and will tell you when the cycle is complete. When it is done, the 2.5 gal could make a great home for your new fish!! Most mistakes are made from misinformation, so be sure to do plenty of research and ask all the questions you want!

#7 ·
Thanks

Thanks, the goldfish were actually in a bowl with 100% water changes every day until I forgot one water change. Just goes to show bowl are unhealthy for fish. Will cleaning ammonia work? The coral was one tiny fragment but the filter was really messing up.

#9 ·
For cycling the tank, cleaning ammonia will not work because it has additives like smells or surfactants (soap). To cycle with pure ammonia, you need to buy ammonia labeled "pure" or "clear", then double-check the ingredients to make sure it's only ammonia and water.

Oscarfishlover has some great advice on how to cycle a tank fishes. Even though these instructions are for huge oscar tanks, they work great for smaller tanks! my tank cycled in 3 weeks! I used the "alternative recipe" on this page:

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-a-tank/fishless-cycle

#10 ·
My 2 cents and my experience, being VERY nervous about trying to cycle WITH my Betta;

And a much larger space of 20 gal;

Using (2x amt needed of) Tetra Safe Start (bottled bacteria) for the 20g, and had PERFECT water testing readings after just 1 week.

Might be a good idea.... The Tetra Safe Start isn't very expensive at Walmart.... Has turned out perfectly for me. New tank set up going on week 3 now, with perfect water paramaters using API Master Test kit.

#12 ·
I'm the exact same way, I actually adopted a fish from Wal-Mart for half price because he made me so sad, haha. They have Safe Start at other pet stores too. Good luck with your new buddy!! :)

#17 ·
I don't have a fish yet but fish keeping is fun. The place I go to, the pet stop has many fish tanks salt or fresh and the corals are beautiful. I can't wait untill I am allowed to get a fish, I love fish and all suggestions have been really helpful. I will post a new thread in journals when I get him. I really like the plakat kind especially HMPKs and turquoise fish. Keep posting helpful tips. Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.