Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.. I have a 10 gallon tank (cycled) with 3 julii corys, 5 guppies, and 5 neon tetras.. Yesterday one of my corys passed away and today two of my neons passed away :blueshake: Now, the three remaining neons seem.. depressed? They're not even schooling anymore.. The corys seem ok.. What am I doing wrong? I do 40% water changes every week (divided up into 10%). What should I do now?

·
Registered
159 Posts
My first thought would maybe be ammonia poisoning? I am not sure, though. Have you tested the water since they started dying to see if ammonia is particularly high or something like that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought would maybe be ammonia poisoning? I am not sure, though. Have you tested the water since they started dying to see if ammonia is particularly high or something like that?
I don't know :( I recently ordered the API test kit so that should be coming soon.. another neon just died.. i now have 2 neons, 5 guppies and 2 corys. The other neons seem very depressed.. I'm so at loss for what to do! :(

·
Registered
499 Posts
^that was my first thought too. Seeing as how the cory and the tetras need bigger groups to begin with.

I'd say test water asap. If you have qt tanks I'd suggest splitting the fish up and qt'ing them.

Have you introduced anything new to the tank? (ie, fish, plants, decor, etc)

That sucks though!

·
Registered
104 Posts
The reason they are dying is because the tank is WAY over-stocked. Neon tetras need 20 gallons minimum. Same with your cories, yes even the smaller ones. Also need sand substrate if you don't have it, or smooth rounded stones, like those glass ones.

For the amount of fish you had, you'd need 25-30 gallons bare minimum. Your guppies would be alright in there, but that's it. Maybe some cherry shrimp. You need to find homes for the rest of the fish and do a big 50% water change, and don't mess with the filter or you may damage the cycle with the larger changes. You can very gently rinse the filter media in some removed tank water. Gently. Or you need a bigger tank and transfer it all, filter included with the mature media(if you cycled the tank before getting fish, if you didn't that's another issue), keep an eye on the stats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts