Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 3 female bettas from Petco about a month ago. I put one female in a 30 gal community tank and 2 in a 15 gal tank with 4 mystery snails. All was well until about a week and a half ago. I noticed that the 2 in the 15 gal had become lethargic and their fins were clamped also I have an older female betta that had some fin damage so I put the old girl and the 2 in the 15 gal in a 5 gal hospital tank and have treated them with betafix. My old girl seems to be doing well but the 2 younger ones are not recovering at all. They have gotten worse and I'm wondering if anyone can give some advice to what is going on with them. I have posted 2 pics of the girls.

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
Please fill out the form below. Even if you've already answered some of the questions please fill out entire form. Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Were in 15 gal now in 5 gal hospital tank.
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No. Not needed in my area this time of year.
What temperature is your tank? 75°f
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes. 4 mystery snails and another betta who is perfectly fine.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Tetra bettamin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day and just a pinch or 2

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Partial water change once every 2 weeks.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia. Have not been able to test yet
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1 week and a half ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Clamped fins
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Treated with bettafix and moved to hospital tank.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? About 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
Whatever is going on is likely being made worse due to the stress of being housed with other betta.

What I would do is separate the 3 you have together, if it's something contagious then the female who is still doing well is going to catch it as the stress of being with 2 other females in a small tank with what seems to be very little plants will lower her immune system.

I'm not sure what it is that's causing the problem with your 2 younger girls. Do they seem to have any discoloration anywhere? You could try and antibiotic as a last ditch effort to save them, but I"m not sure which one to advise you to try.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi there,

Please get the water tested ASAP so we can help you more. That will help us narrow it down to what could be going on. A lot of fish stores will test your water for free, just remember to get the exact numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts